Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 13 and getting into traditional bowhunting and might be going deer hunting with my brother, whats the experience like? My brother said he cried when he shot his first one. I have a feeling that maybe I will too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It will be what it will . Be respectful of the game. Remember you have participated in something has gone on for thousands of years . Practice your shooting and good luck .

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
My daughter shot her first deer last year at the age of 13. We have taken her and her brother hunting with us on and off since she was 4. On several occasions she has had an opportunity but wasn’t “ready”. . . and that IS OK! Taking the life of any animal is a big deal and you want to make sure that you are ready….skill wise and emotionally. You don’t have to kill anything to enjoy hunting! But, when you are “ready”, and you are successful, you may experience a wide range of emotions and that’s a good thing! Good luck to you and I hope you have a safe and wonderful year hunting!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My daughter shot her first deer last year at the age of 13. We have taken her and her brother hunting with us on and off since she was 4. On several occasions she has had an opportunity but wasn’t “ready”. . . and that IS OK! Taking the life of any animal is a big deal and you want to make sure that you are ready….skill wise and emotionally. You don’t have to kill anything to enjoy hunting! But, when you are “ready”, and you are successful, you may experience a wide range of emotions and that’s a good thing! Good luck to you and I hope you have a safe and wonderful year hunting! View attachment 54881
Congrats to your daughter. Heck of a first deer. (y)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Henry07....Remember Ohio's Minimum for deer is 40# and it would take a lot of good practice to build strength using a recurve, especially for a !3yr old! Depends a lot on your size, strength, and physical ability. Do you have a bow in mind to use? Hopefully your brother can get you started in the rt direction.Magee summed it up nicely for you!! Heed her advice. Oh yeah, great pic Magee!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts