Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
22,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wait until you start checking on the acorn production for this year. With the dry weather, the fruit is really small so far(I checked a dozen or so trees this past weekend), and if you find a "good tree" or two, you can do some damage!!!:D

But it's not looking good for this fall-unless there's a corn field close by:biggrin::mischeif:

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Mast production is looking poor this year. I hung a couple stands yesterday and noticed very small acorns. I look for them to drop early too, as the trees become more and more stressed.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
22,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mast production is looking poor this year. I hung a couple stands yesterday and noticed very small acorns. I look for them to drop early too, as the trees become more and more stressed.
I already have them dropping for about a week now....in certain areas-but the size was what caught my eye the most.They weren't even close in size to the ones last year around this time.

·
5,040 Posts
Wonder what the cousin says..................

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Wonder what the cousin says..................
Cousin Squaller says
"Doan fret tha small stuf. Siz doan mater.Them thar egcurns ar growers not showers. Thar be plente enuf come dear seesun. Ifin yu aint got nary a egcurn tree to hunt under in the big forist, look fur my cusin coonskiner and him big Ol curn nugets at him kamp. Yur fur certin to kil a dear thar. Jus tel em posumskiner scent ya".

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Most mass nut trees like white oak red oak hickory goes throw cycles. They might have three or four great yrs. but there will be yrs that some trees won't produce. White oak I think goes throw a four yr cycle where a red oak might go throw a two yr cycle. Then again hickorys might go throw a ten yr cycle. Rain and heat does have an effect on the production but there is more to it then just that. Plus it has been hot but I have seen it hotter and dryer then this and still have a good mass crop.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Most mass nut trees like white oak red oak hickory goes throw cycles. They might have three or four great yrs. but there will be yrs that some trees won't produce. White oak I think goes throw a four yr cycle where a red oak might go throw a two yr cycle. Then again hickorys might go throw a ten yr cycle. Rain and heat does have an effect on the production but there is more to it then just that. Plus it has been hot but I have seen it hotter and dryer then this and still have a good mass crop.

beechnut is a consistant producer and deer love em...its the forgotten nut...:biggrin:

·
22,520 Posts
Cousin Squaller says
"Doan fret tha small stuf. Siz doan mater.Them thar egcurns ar growers not showers. Thar be plente enuf come dear seesun. Ifin yu aint got nary a egcurn tree to hunt under in the big forist, look fur my cusin coonskiner and him big Ol curn nugets at him kamp. Yur fur certin to kil a dear thar. Jus tel em posumskiner scent ya".

:yikes:

I have some pictures of what they looked like in August- I'll dig them up and we'll compare them to this year-

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am actually gonna be looking for small stands of pine this year instead of focusing on fruit trees. I am in NWO so probably much different due to the amount of farming.

I mean if you can find some nice area's have at it. This year I think it will really be hunters who think outside of the box due to the massive drought. Right where I live within a 4-5 mile area we didn't get hit bad by the drought but honestly within 10 miles west of us you can really tell the damage that has been done.

I will more be focusing on long stream/creek beds that still have a lot of vegetation and good trees along with small stands of pines.

I don't have any trail cams yet and won't til probably Sept so I can't see what they are really going at in my area. Not to mention it is Northwest Ohio. If you don't like the weather wait a few hours.. If you don't like the climate. Wait a month.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I mean if you can find some nice area's have at it. This year I think it will really be hunters who think outside of the box due to the massive drought. Right where I live within a 4-5 mile area we didn't get hit bad by the drought but honestly within 10 miles west of us you can really tell the damage that has been done.
I live in Defiance and we have been killed by the drought. Crops are pretty much a total loss. White oaks acorns are small but plentiful. Red oaks are pathetic. Soft mass is decent. If we get rain this month and next, hunting green fields should be hotter than normal this fall.

Attachments

·
5,040 Posts
Here's some pics of this years red oak acorns fitting inside the cap of last years!
DSCN1971.jpg

DSCN1972.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Cousin Squaller says

That was hard to read.. But that ther is some funny chit..

No corn no mast crop. Hmmn I wonder what the totals will be this year??

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Less than last year, cause we have 10,000,000 deer lol[/QU 9,000,000 of em are in my forist. Been gettin egcurns trukked in, got curn piles evry 50 feet, suger beets and a big waterin hole. Dang u guys dont no how to do it.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Iz knowz how da duz it - i put out a passel o korndogz - da deerz et da korn batter offin dem and den da **** come in and et da meat - prolly sum yotz tooz but uh doan stayz up dat late - ya all kidz try it - workz good and ifin ya getz hungries wait'n fo da animuls ya kin slip out yur blind and grub up on one o dem dogz yur self - dang :whistle::mischeif:

btw - uh also know how ta hunted polar bearz - tell ya bout dat when if freezez up - dang

oh yeah - uh ben tyin sum korn doggiez ta da tall corn stalks dat doan haz no eers - dat really workz good - foolz dem deerz real good - schweet

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Yeah I know how to hunt polar bears with an axe and a can of peas. First ya chop a hole in the ice then you open the can of peas and sit them all around the hole. Then you hide and wait for the polar to come. When he tries to take a pea you kick him in the icehole.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yeah I know how to hunt polar bears with an axe and a can of peas. First ya chop a hole in the ice then you open the can of peas and sit them all around the hole. Then you hide and wait for the polar to come. When he tries to take a pea you kick him in the icehole.
Wrong, you hunt polar bears with a bottle of coke, I saw it on a commercial, tv doesn't lie

Lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts