Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Don't know where you are going with this. I feel accuracy and a good trigger come before cost and who made it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Few guys I shoot with think you need the best scope best bull barrel gun to touch things out their just saying you don't need to spend a lot of money to shoot distance. Target was a 10 inch circle plate group was probably 3" group not bad for holding foot high and probably 8" left. Just giving my thoughts to guys out their who might be deciding to spend 3 paychecks for a rifle or half a paycheck.

·
7,173 Posts
I have some cheap scopes, some good scopes and some very good scopes.

The cheapest scopes are OK for certain limited uses. But low light, recoil, holding zeros and longevity can be a problem.

My first scoped centerfire rifle was a M70 .308 with a Clearfield Hardware scope. Clearfield was gun wholesaler in Pennsylvania when I was a kid. Anyways the optics were pretty good but after a couple of years the cross hairs broke. Now I shot that a good bit but it should have held up.

I have a 36X BSA. Got it used for $80. Optics suck, I can see better with a good 12X but the adjustments are great. I can turn it 20 click down, 20 clicks left, 20 clicks up and 20 click right and come back to zero. I got it for some load development, but since the optics really don't let you see better then a good, lower powered scope it sits in a drawer.

When the kids were little and money was tight I would move my Weaver V3 from my slug gun to my muzzleloader and back again. So one day I was at Dick's and they had a Tasco(1.5-6 iirc) on sale. Got it home and mounted it on a shotgun. 2nd shot one of the internal lenses came loose. Returned it to Dick's and got my money back.

For most uses I find mid level scopes work very well. There are some pretty good, dependable scopes in the $150-$250 range. That is where I'll make recommendations for most applications if $$ are an issue. Also you can find some great deals on good used scopes, I just picked up a really nice Leupold( I'm not the biggest Leupold fan, they are good but they ain't perfect) VXII 3-9 for $180 with shipping on Ebay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts