close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yotes with a rifle?????

Discussion in 'Ohio Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by DASHEILIGE, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Ok first let me start with I have never coyote hunted but want to start. Ok that said, If I read it correctly I understand ODNR lets you rifle hunt coyotes on state land?????? Can someone clear this up for me as to true or not? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated as to methods of a good hunt. Thanks for your time.

2. As far as I know yes they do....if they don't then I've been breaking the law

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. As far as methods....two words...wind direction

4. Thank you sir. May I ask what caliber you use?

5. despite coyote season being year round, read all the rules. For example, During shotgun deer season, you must use a legal weapon for deer to shoot coyotes, meaning no rifles.
    I guess I would have to go back and read up on muzzleloader seasons too. Also, Public Hunting areas have a set of rules and other areas that allow public hunting may not allow rifles, like state parks that allow hunting.

As for calibers, I would avoid depending on a 22LR, or a 17hmr, or a 22 mag. So go up from a 17 remington, 204, 222 to whatever you want including a 458 winchester or 45/70.

6. Well for right now the 12ga. it is. Rifle wise I am under kill or over kill .22 or .300 win mag. Am saving for a good flat shooting smaller round.

7. Id like to see a yote shot with that 300 win mag... lol.
    especially if using nosler bullets.

8. LOL I would gladly shoot one with it if I had a good backstop. I love that rifle.

9. I do still have a box of accelerator rounds.

10. Forgot about them uploadfromtaptalk1346027890416.jpg . Next to a .38 special

11. I use a .223

12. Yes, you may hunt with rifles on state land. There is a time in the fall that you may not. It is in the regs, don't know where right now.

Any centerfire caliber will work. Your .300 WM will kill them. I reload my .300 WM with a 110 grain HP sighted in for 200 yards. I would like to take one with that load.

Think I found the reg. Page 21 in the regs, under allowable hunting equipment, see rifle, any caliber.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
  13. I appreciate the input guys. One more question? What the heck do you guys do with them when ya get one? I heard they stink. Short story= I picked up a opossum one time by the tail (was dead :eek: ) to move off the road and my hand smelled like yuck for days, soap didnt seem to help much or smell was stuck in my head. dont want anymore stinky repeats.

14. dad always told me as a boy not to shoot anything i'm not gonna eat but god rest his soul it's not happening!!! :yikes: RIP pops love ya.

15. Feed em to the buzzards and other scavengers

16. I think the best caliber for Coyotes is a 22-250 with a 4-12x50 or better.

17. I've only shot one yote, with my 22-250. It was fun .... :biggrin:

18. Lay em out in the field and target practice on the crows with a 17/22/22mag. :D Only on fri. sat. sun. though... I never did get why crows are only allowed to be taken on those days.

19. I was always brought up that way. There's exceptions, this being one. Last year I had to leave a deer. Someone had a bad shot and its front left leg wad missing at the base. It was all rotten and green on the inside, you could see almost to the lungs. Infection was probably spreading all throughout the body. Killed me that I couldn't take it, but I was glad to put it out of its misery.

20. just got one a few weeks ago cant wait to try it out.ive never coyote hunted before so this will be all new to me