close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yes another poll

Discussion in 'Ohio Catfish Anglers' started by Flatheadmaniac, Dec 23, 2002.

1. 10 and under

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. 10-20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 20-30

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. 30-40

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 40-50

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 50 and up

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. What lb. test line do you use for flatheads?

2. If I am targeting Flatheads only I have always used 30-lb test mono

3. BPS Excell

20-30# line and a 40# nylon coated steel leader I fabricate onto a 2/0 Swivel & a 8/0 circle hook.

4. I picked 50+ because a couple of my rods have 80lb. others, like my spinning have 20lb. and 40lb.

5. Never fished for flats but would love to. So i think i will have to find a tutor before i start strippin my reels...i use 15 pound for channels.
    Mitch

6. Bottom Bouncer

I hear ya thats why i put 50 and above..i mostly run 50lb test braided dacron, but have two reels(Quantum 430cx) that i use during certain times of the year when needed, that have 80lb test braided dacron on them.

7. I use Power pro 50 lb. test at 12 dia. on my 6500's.;)

8. im new to flathead fishing, only got one 10 pounder on my last trip to the ohio. it was my first but not my last flathead does any one think 20 # big game is good enough for the ohio river

9. I would say that would be the min. for fishing the Ohio river for cats.

10. Line......

ShoreBoundOne & catslayer, line size is going to depend upon where you fish & how you fish. Off the bank in the Ohio River 20# is usually fine, from a boat, it's plenty good too. I've gone to 25 & 30# line because we are on a quest to break the IN & KY state record bluecat of 104# caught in 1999.

Fishing high snag areas in smaller rivers, creeks, you probably would want to go with 30# min. up to 50#
    Current is going to factor into it also, alot of current in the rocks is going to beat & weaken your line too. That's an advantage fishing from the boat, the line isn't in the rocks as bad.

11. maybe it would not hurt me to step up to 30# think that would be better.

12. In the big river I use silver thread 20lb for channels and 30lb offshore angler for flats and big channel. When I fish lakes (tight areas) I use 50lb braid for flats.

13. Line

I spool my reels with 17-20 pound test SuperTough Stren for flatheads. Looks like I'm the "black sheep" of this thread so far, but everybody uses what they feel comfortable with--line wise, terminal tackle, plus rods and reels. :)

14. CW03

I never went above 20# line until I began catching bigger fish. Before that I wasn't worried. Also the heavier line is much harder to break on a snag, but I get more of them back, as I guess I'm moving the rocks. I know I was sure glad I had fresh 30# line when I hit my biggest fish ever. I probably still would've landed it on 20# test, but I was alot more relaxed knowing I had just spooled it up the night before. If I knew I wasn't going to tangle with fish over 40# I would stay with the 20#. Never had a problem with it breaking off on a fish. It's mostly peer pressure that got me to switch to heavier line.;)

15. Line-

I use 25 pound test Excalibur sliver thread. I use a 30 pound leader, so the line doesn't fray in the rough mouth of the cats. THE CATKING!!!:)

16. 20 to 30 lb line should be ok if you set the drag....but sometimes i use 40 plus:p