Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have used regular super glue to put myself back together several times. Works great. I have heard that super glue was originally developed during one of the world wars to close up minor wounds on our soldiers. Once I heard that, I use it all the time, even keep a tube in my lunch bucket at work...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Also...on that last dive through the thorns, Ferg ripped her left ear...same ear she cut last Friday. Lots of blood and took 15 minutes to get it bandaged enough to get to the SUV. Everything was fine and then this AM she shook her hear and it opened again. I am stopping by the vet to get some GLUture Topical adhesive. I have read where superglue works...but not sure I would use it. Thoughts? My previous English Setter used to cut the end of her tail almost every time out and EMT Gel worked...but I am out of that.
Ears do bleed...dependent, EMT Gel helps as much as anything.
The decision to close any cut falls to the size and condition of the cut...not good to seal w/o cleansing.

A short section of a woman's stocking slid over the head and ear will softly hold the ear tight to the head and go a good ways towards helping prevent shaking and re-opening a torn ear.
Not a good look for the dog though....in fact, they often appear quite embarrassed to be so equipped.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Also...on that last dive through the thorns, Ferg ripped her left ear...same ear she cut last Friday. Lots of blood and took 15 minutes to get it bandaged enough to get to the SUV. Everything was fine and then this AM she shook her hear and it opened again. I am stopping by the vet to get some GLUture Topical adhesive. I have read where superglue works...but not sure I would use it. Thoughts? My previous English Setter used to cut the end of her tail almost every time out and EMT Gel worked...but I am out of that.
did it look anything like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
dog took a thorn in the ear directly into a vein and bleed like a stuck pig. I loaded it up with styptic (sp?) powder. Then filled it up with emt gel and a bandage. Worked fine till i took off the bandage the next morning, she shook and had to start the whole process over again. FUNNY thing was i texted this pic to my brother and told him the dog got on some wild boar :)

Just another reason that everyone should have a 1st aid kit with them. I carry a small emergency one in my coat/vest for field emergencies and a more comprehensive one in the truck

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
man I hate ear cuts. Nothing gets your attention faster than when your dog works back into you and passes by with it's entire side covered in red....... I've never tried superglue, I always make sure to keep 2 or 3 tubes of EMT gel around.

I like the idea about the stocking, I'll steer clear of fishnet for her. :)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
man I hate ear cuts. Nothing gts your atten faster than when your dog works back into you passed by with it's entire side covered in red....... I've never tried superglue, I always make sure to keep 2 or 3 tubes of EMT gel around.

I like the idea about the stocking, I'll steer clear of fishnet for her. :)
Super glue is good enough for me but for my dogs I use the expensive stuff. Seems about right.......

·
Registered
75 Posts
We jump 3 at spencer lake yesterday hunting pheasants.3 shots no birds.I personally have flushed more woodcock in the past couple seasons than ever before.Find habitat and your chances go up

·
Registered
297 Posts
We've done fairly well this year too. Ben twice and jumped 10+ birds. Got shots on 6 put 4 down. Was most impressed with my Weimerainer though. First time in the field and he jumped 5 of them... Guess its genetic huh?

·
Registered
355 Posts
sunday was my 1st chance to get out this season, killed 2. surprisingly the only 2 i shot at. was after wild pheasants but only saw a few hens. Put up a bunch of timber doodles. I think there is a flight coming through. I put them up in a field i've never seen them in before and had a buddy tell me the same about another area. I'd say we moved 10 or more birds in 2 fields not really hunting them, probably could of moved twice as much if we would of stayed by the creeek. really the only reason we put them up is we were getting the dogs a drink in the creek. get out and get em bc there here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Last Friday while hunting wild Pheasant at Deer Creek WLA we saw 1 Woodcock, 6 hens, 2 Roosters.

Nothing in the bag, but it was a great day in the field with some Dogs and friends.

Hunted tough cover, I was sore for 2 days after.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Getting into 'doodles every time out now. Must have put up 8-9 yesterday, took 2, knocked down 3 but dropped one is some tall grass and looked for 30+ minutes and Ferg and I both came up empty. Hate losing game. . pissed off a tree stand guy on public land in my honey hole...must not have liked Ferg's bell... Talked to a guy from Canal Winchester who said when he was duck hunting in a picked corn field that woodcock were everywhere...

·
Registered
355 Posts
from today, got about 10 up. unfortunately my shooting was poor. still fun to find them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was out Friday afternoon for an hour or so in my usual honey hole. No birds. Pup did point a couple times, but nothing productive. She did get a nice cut in her left ear that bled like the beezezes. Finally got it stopped.....
Any life left in this post or am I took late to the party???

·
Registered
135 Posts
had a liver, tick and roan gsp once, high strung, obnoxious, uncontrollable and would rather chase deer. he had to go, felt bad but right choice.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts