Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was out Friday afternoon for an hour or so in my usual honey hole. No birds. Pup did point a couple times, but nothing productive. She did get a nice cut in her left ear that bled like the beezezes. Finally got it stopped.....

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
A few days ago, the woodcock I found in the U.P. appeared to be mainly residents.
What with the full moon, NW wind and weather of late, I would expect woodcock to be moving more.
Movement however, is area, region and, often seemingly, whim dependent....bad to generalize too far.
Woodcock will be present when you find them.
I will note that populations were down 50%-60% where I hunted.....the drop attributed to a very late-remaining regional snow cover last spring....fwtw.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Didnt get out to the woods this weekend - Opted for some dog training on Quail instead.

This MAY seem like a stupid question - Do you have to have a migratory bird stamp for your license to hunt woodcock? The ODNR rules arent really clear... Shocking, I know.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Didnt get out to the woods this weekend - Opted for some dog training on Quail instead.

This MAY seem like a stupid question - Do you have to have a migratory bird stamp for your license to hunt woodcock? The ODNR rules arent really clear... Shocking, I know.
not an expert... and i don't have a license yet this year, but the past years you have had to call a 800 # and take a survey and then get a # that you must document on your license to be legal

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
No stamp needed but you do have to a have HIP number written on your license. That's acquired via the 800# questionaire mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Not really, it takes less than 5 minutes to complete. Much better than buying a duck stamp.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
That seems overly complex. It's almost as if they don't really want us doing it...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Not sure who "they" are but the woodcock is federally managed with state input.
The State or the Feds have no woodcock hunter bias.
Answering the HIP questionnaire gives some info on harvest....one can also send in a woodcock wing from each bird to the USF&WS for aging and sexing at the WingBee....that is another way they attempt to understand woodcock population shifts.

A stab at requiring a federal woodcock stamp was tried, again, a few years ago...it failed.
While I expect that the money may not have helped overmuch, I would have liked to see a Woodcock Stamp...a la the Duck Stamp.

This weather should be bringing in the little bogsucker.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I always add the HIP at the time of license purchase...in any state.:confused:

Irregardless, good luck when the birds are in.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Adding it at the time of purchase is no longer an option here unless you're doing it online at home. MI can still be done at the license agent.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Ah...did not know that, Lance..thanks.
That is odd.
Pa. is still at purchase time as well unless that changed since last year.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I do th eHIP at time of purchase, which is usually in April, buying hte hunting and fishing license at the same time is nice, fast and easy online.

I buy everything license related that I can online, even the Fed duck stamp this year, though it was chore to find it on the USPS site. Went with a couple buddies to Wal-Mart and they took FOREVER to buy their licenses there, it was truly sad.

That being said, I don't know what good a stamp would do. It would add some conservation dollars, but not too many people hunt Woodcock, and anyone who just happens to do it here and there may not anymore.

I almost stepped on one one day in Delaware WA, didn't shoot becasue I had no idea what it was until I got home and looked it up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
oct.23rd

:yikes:went out for the first time today,to my honey hole.didn't expect much since i am around the i-70 line.put my setter down at 1:35 and picked her up at exactly 2:35.it is usually a 35 - 45 minute course.with all the points and finding her when she went on point,it took 1 hour.5 solid productive points and 2 wild flushes.all woodcock.i would say the flight is on and in full swing.rick

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fergie and I hit our usual honey holes and what a difference a week made. First spot worked our way thru the swampy area with alders (and MANY thorn bushes I might add). Near the end of our first sweep, she went on point and low and behold the bird was running a bit on her. She finally nailed it and a running bird is a nervous bird and out it came, flying right at my head. Had to wait for it to clear and missed it with both barrels as it flew through the heavy stuff. Ferg took a couple steps and out blasted a second bird...but I was empty. Tried to relocate both, but on the way she got birdy, another runner that got up right in front of me in a clearing. Easy shot, except my Citori safety got stuck between lower and upper barrel and I did not get a shot off. Basically 0-fer 3! Hit the other honey hold and Fergie locked in on one 20 yards away. I was making my way through the thorns and it blasted out low and I could not get a shot. Ferg was after it and ran about 40 yrds and it flushed back towards me, and I dropped it on a crossing shot. Work down by the river bottom, flushed another (could not get a shots...leaves need to drop!). It was 5:15 so we were working back to the train when she slammed a point at the base of a tree. It took me 2-3 minutes to get to her...but she did not flinch so I knew it right under her nose. Walked in and AGAIN it flushed right at me then up towards the treetops where I dropped it into some really think suff. Ferg blasted through the thorns and bird #2 was in the bag. No fat on either so probably the flights are on!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also...on that last dive through the thorns, Ferg ripped her left ear...same ear she cut last Friday. Lots of blood and took 15 minutes to get it bandaged enough to get to the SUV. Everything was fine and then this AM she shook her hear and it opened again. I am stopping by the vet to get some GLUture Topical adhesive. I have read where superglue works...but not sure I would use it. Thoughts? My previous English Setter used to cut the end of her tail almost every time out and EMT Gel worked...but I am out of that.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts