Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
With the weather as it is it will be hard to tell this year. Last year I had luck 2 weeks into the season. I'm still waiting for the great teal migration. When you find em good luck hitting those kamikaze birds. :D

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
355 Posts
seems to me that the season is usually to early and they come through after the season is closed???? I usually have good luck though on the locals though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems to me that the season is usually to early and they come through after the season is closed???? I usually have good luck though on the locals though.
Thats what I thought!!!

Im going to try and hit the woods as much as possible this year and take notes. Ive been roading my hunting buddy, and hes ready for some real action! (If he can take a break from being a mommas boy...)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here's a link to the RGS web site.
Look under Latest News (left column) for the Migration Map Daily History and the Migration Maps Historical. That should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I've hit flight birds in late october through early november in the north and hit a LOT of flight birds down towards 70 in the early to mid november stretch. Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have been jumping them right and left putting up stands, I always flush a few every day when Im shed hunting in the spring also.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent advice guys!!

Im going to hit big island (unfortunately not for the opener, due to an out of town wedding)

I will also be trying deer creek for the Pheasant opener. If I find wild birds, I may not take any. Just knowing they are there will be enough for me... as long as my pooch gets a nose full of scent.

I can shoot all the pen raised birds I want.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The opener for woodcock coincides with the new two day muzzleloader season for antlerless deer. That kind of makes me want to stay home. :)

Anyone that is going out probably needs to observe the minimum requirement for florescent orange.

One question I have: Is it ok for an adult to hunt woodcock during the youth small game weed ends?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
It is but I would avoid areas there are pheasant releases, just avoid anyone that gets confused on what you're doing. No point in getting one ticked off thinking that you're out hunting the kids birds. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I consider myself a bona fide woodcock aficionado! I have had a bunch of success on local birds...but the real fun occurs when you get a week or so of flight birds coming in. Usually right before the pheasant opener and lasts a couple weeks. My long lost setter Tess was a stone cold woodcock machine. I can remember her pointing 15-20 birds here in central OH one Friday afternoon when she was 14 yrs old. She thought I was crazy because I was not shooting after my limit! I now have Fergie my GSP who is 2.5 and nailed her first point on a woodcock at 6 months old. AND...I love to pan sear em...tasty with a nice mushroom sauce. I too would like to find some other hot spots outside of central Ohio. I am all ears fellas....

·
Registered
347 Posts
I love to pan sear em...tasty with a nice mushroom sauce.
I like them best when I cut the breasts into strips and wrap them in bacon with a small strip of jalapeno, dust them lightly with cayanne pepper and cook them quickly on the grill. Woodcock poppers!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I consider myself a bona fide woodcock aficionado! I have had a bunch of success on local birds...but the real fun occurs when you get a week or so of flight birds coming in. Usually right before the pheasant opener and lasts a couple weeks. My long lost setter Tess was a stone cold woodcock machine. I can remember her pointing 15-20 birds here in central OH one Friday afternoon when she was 14 yrs old. She thought I was crazy because I was not shooting after my limit! I now have Fergie my GSP who is 2.5 and nailed her first point on a woodcock at 6 months old. AND...I love to pan sear em...tasty with a nice mushroom sauce. I too would like to find some other hot spots outside of central Ohio. I am all ears fellas....
I am a Woodcock amature. But if I find them, I will post on this thread.
Im getting my 3yo setter out on some quail this weekend to brush up... Ive been roading him with a bike for over a month now getting ready for the season. 3+ miles 3-4 times a week (Roading miles are way different free run miles) I wish my body responded to exercise as quickly as his!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was planning on hunting Killdeer plains Wild life area or Big Island.

Killdeer If we get some quail to hunt in the dog training area.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts