Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunting the Wayne for the first time this year. We've done some scouting and found good sign. Is there more early season movement in the evening or in the morning?

Any thoughts on hunting the standing water sources that exist in the forrest?

Thanks

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
as for mornin or night i really think some individuals do one or the other better so whatever was your favorite anywhere else will be here too...i feel whatever you have the most confidence in will be the one you will do the best at...i do best in mornings but know others that do best in afternoons,if you like hunting when its cooler,then go in the morning,many times it feels like november and be downright chilly in early morn.up to 11:00 am...a thang to remember is getting a deer out and even finding it...morning hunts are much better as you have the rest of the day to look for and get your deer out...it can be quite a job as you cant use 4 wheelers...:Das for hunting water holes...if its a drout and water isnt in the higher areas and its very skimpy in the creeks...then get around any existing water you can find...in some cases the deeper natural holes may still have water but the beaver ponds will almost always have water...locate these places during scouting...in the higher elevations the only water is usually in mudholes...which dry up quick but fill up again after some rain...and drainage creeks starting from the higher elevations to the main creeks in the valleys dry up quickly,find the bigger creeks in bottoms...rivers dont dry up...big boys especially like to bed near a rare water hole when its super hot,like within 50-100 yds...they dont like moving a long distance as it is but will make these short trips several times in the hot afternoon for water...i have found many a big boy while scouting in august during drouts near water holes of course these deer eventually move back up on the tops when the rains and cooler weather comes......as for deer movement in the early season...it will be very consistant on the trails they use,especially doe and fawns but you will be mostly seeing smaller bucks that thinks the doe are in heat and doe...you might see an occassional glimpse of a big boy but theyre not going all over the woods looking for doe as the lil ones are...they know the real fun is still a month away...deer will be very calm,even the big boys but that will begin to change as they start having more and more encounters with hunters...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I was lookin at the buckeye trees in r back yard today and there selling immature nuts I didn't look at the oaks but imagine it will be the same. As for morning or evening I like both and see movement both times like from dawn untill 9:30 then there beded down and from 4pm until I can't I see anymore but Coonie makes a good point I wouldn't want to be messing around in the deep woods lookin for a deer The dark

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. You guys have any thoughts or experience with hunting in areas of the Wayne that have hiking or horse trail systems?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts