Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone witnessed the winter storm damage that was done to Southern Ohio yet, I have seen it first hand and I'll say that I have never seen such devastation that has been done to the Southern Ohio forests in my lifetime. I'll be cutting out trees that have all the tops snapped off for the next few years, man where I went down to Scioto County to help my family it looked like a war zone. Downed trees and power lines everywhere, not to mention the rain and ice. Wow it was a once in a lifetime occurance to see.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Other than what I have seen on the news no I haven't. Some of the footage that I have seen is terrible. I am interested to see what the area looks like in Vinton County that we hunt.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thing is they are talking about another blockbuster for the middle of the week, a news station in Columbus said the other night that it will either pass us by or hit us right between the eyes, I have had enough of it, this is one for the books.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I heard that also. I sure hope we don't get it, i'm sick of it!

·
Registered
150 Posts
The snow ain't gettin me down but the frozen ground is. Hard on construction production.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We are adding on where I work and I often look out at them on a blustery, cold day and think man those guys got it rough this time of year.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
George, if you can't go let me know, i'll good for ya. LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I was at my deer camp in Morgan co. this past weekend. I couldn't believe the amount of snow they got! Snow up past my knees. Luckily, a year round resident down there bulldozed my driveway or I would have never gotten in! Was over 50 degrees on Saturday which helped the melt off. Glad I'm on high ground though. Had flood warnings for many counties. Was a productive weekend too down in Morgan. I got many stands up and some re-positioned. Got home Sunday evening and had to shovel the driveway for the upteenth time:mad: C'mon spring!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I made it down to S. Ohio also this weekend.

Had to take rt 23 out of Chillicothe to Portsmouth (then to Ironton), because rt 93 out of Jackson was closed down.

In New Boston (just east of Portsmouth 1 mile) which sets right on the river and on rt 52, the trees were all knocked off @ about 30ft. Looks like someone took a "weed-wacker" and cut the tops off all the trees. It was one of the more "amazing" things I ever seen when it comes to ol' mother nature.

Just think of all that money lost in timber!

The National Guard is in. The place is a "wreck" to say the least. Some people were still without electric yesterday....been a week or so!

Oldhat

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Bring on the snow ,Just kidding any report on vinton or athens county how are the doing

·
Registered
905 Posts
i plow snow for a living after last years lack of snow i decided to put evertbody on contract,based out of 14 plows. from feb1 on every time it snows i take it in the ass!!:(

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
That not good scott but you will have these kind of yearsbut hay maybe next year you might only have to plow one time then your in high water;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Scott -- My brother is in the same boat as you. He told me what his salt bill was for this year ---- MAN, I couldn't believe it, and the winter weather isn't over yet.
He lives in the Toledo area: The storm they had last weekend put him in the red big time.
For your and his sake I hope it's over.

·
Registered
397 Posts
We have alot of ice here. We lost alot of trees in the ice. I have not got a close look at them to hard to get the tractor back in the feilds. I need a atv may work better. we were better off than some others. We got are power back Sunday night. I hear there are others that don't have it back yet. I see alot of service truck go down to Pomoroy each day. I live on route 33 2 miles in side of Meigs county. Lots of work to do here too talk to you all later:(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts