Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to hunt birds in the wind.....or is it better to stay home? Sunday we had birds gobbling and my son got a nice gobbler early. Today I went out and didn't hear a cluck or a gobble. It was fairly windy where I was at in Columbiana county. I was overlooking a large winter wheat field, the same one we hunted Sunday, and never saw a bird. I did jump a hen at about 10:30 when I started walking in the woods and calling.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Anytime you have wind, you can count on a hard hunt. You can't hear much and they can't hear you very well. Birds will congregate in 3 spots: open fields, protective ridges or bottoms, and thick evergreen stands. They will try to avoid the wind and minimize the sensory overload of swinging trees and bushes. Try to use loud calls such as boxes or them push pin jobs and make sure your listening intently. Besides patience, or a run and gun strategy with a LOT of run, there's not much else you can try. The best news is lots of hunters give up, so you can move around a little more without much competition. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Very tough hunting in high wind. Watch over field edges. Sometimes is just a matter of luck that one comes along.

Limit your shots to closer distances.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts