2,023 Posts
id dont know
2 hundred pounds thats a lot of rice
try it and tell us
Tom

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would suggest finding another use for it. I suspect it would cause the same problems for deer that it does for birds.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I don't think it would scare the deer. I just don't think it would interest them. They have to many other great food sources to stick to.

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
I would suggest finding another use for it. I suspect it would cause the same problems for deer that it does for birds.
Why is that? You are comparing avians to ungelates ?? Just wondered how you drew that conclusion.

Curious myself about the answer to this question. Can't say I've ever heard it asked before. I guess I could see a few deer becoming foundered by ingesting a bunch of rice. I'm glad you asked the question Deerslayer45102. What would be the unintended effects of putting out a half dozen piles of brown rice :confused:

It's admirable you want to find a use for the rice you can't use, but imo I would find another way of "disposing" it. My $0.02

Where did you get 200 lbs of brown rice if I may ask?

·
Registered
806 Posts
The rice will absorb moisture after injested, that's a given. That moisture and acid is important to break down foods. It could inhibit digestion, and at the very least, make them uncomfortable if they ate too much. Personally, I doubt they would have any interest in it and it probably wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
what about all that dry corn they eat in the winter... doesn't that absorb moisture in their stomachs as well???? Not sure where your trying to go with that one???

Although I do agree I would find it hard for deer to have any interest in rice, especially this time of year when food is so abundant

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hundreds of thousands of ducks and geese(and other birds) eat the left overs from flooded rice fields every year. Nothing bad ever happens. That myth was started by Ann Landers a buncha years ago. And, for what its worth, Alka Seltzer won't explode sea gulls either(personal knowledge...:D )

Go ahead and try the rice for deer. Or call your wildlife agency to check for sure...

·
Registered
806 Posts
[QUOTEHundreds of thousands of ducks and geese(and other birds) eat the left overs from flooded rice fields every year. ][/QUOTE]
Yes, but since it's on flooded fields, wouldn't it already have absorbed all the moisture it can? Someone eat 2 or 3 cups of dry rice and tell me how you feel after an hour or so. Now I'm curious.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
you do that magis
on the other hand your starting to make some sence, this is interesting
Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going to put a few small piles out. I spoke with a local biologist and she said rice should have roughly the same effect on digestion as cattle corn.

as far as where I got the rice, I am what you call a prepper. Which I highly recommend in these uncertain times. nuff said:shhh:
http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Now I wonder teriaki or no tariaki?:D

·
Registered
806 Posts
you do that magis
I've already convinced myself that I'm right, so I don't need to prove it to myself. :D ;) Heck, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain that the absorption rate for rice is much greater than corn. I still don't think they'll like it, but it'll be one heck of a bird feeder.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Magis - go home tonight and throw a couple of cups of rice into some warm water and let it sit. Then report back how long it takes to swell, and the actual volume of increase.

Monroe

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I am going to put a few small piles out. I spoke with a local biologist and she said rice should have roughly the same effect on digestion as cattle corn.

as far as where I got the rice, I am what you call a prepper. Which I highly recommend in these uncertain times. nuff said:shhh:
http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Now I wonder teriaki or no tariaki?:D
Not to hijack the thread, ( but I'll do it anyways)

I checked out that site....

Do you really worry about all the stuff they talk about on there???? Some of that crap is so far fetched it's almost hilarious..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts