Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
why is it columbus has no probaseball,basketball or football teams:mischeif:..i think the main reason by far is...ohio state...they(osu) dont want to compete against it and possibly that can be said of the pro teams not wanting to buck heads with osu for fans...osu wants to be the top show in town,a major pro team could only hurt them by taking away fans...columbus has it all to have more successful pro.teams than cleveland or cincy...we're a more positive place to be...why do you think no pro teams take up residence here in columbus...:D

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I'm not sure if the city could afford to pay a Pro team along with the OSU basketball and football teams:p

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
columbus is well off financially...lots better than cleveland and cincy...i believe pro teams would/could do better here...:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
the Clippers aren't pro?:)
I think it'd be hard to find a good fan base for a pro basketball or football team with Cleveland and cincy having pro teams.Outside of that the competition with OSU would make it even harder.
But of the 3 i think that a pro baseball team would have the best chance of success in Columbus.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
the Clippers aren't pro?:)
I think it'd be hard to find a good fan base for a pro basketball or football team with Cleveland and cincy having pro teams.Outside of that the competition with OSU would make it even harder.
But of the 3 i think that a pro baseball team would have the best chance of success in Columbus.
How many Big Cities actually have successful pro teams and have a big College Programs to boot? L.A. with UCLA and USC are the only ones off the top of my head. Miami kinda. Most of the big name College programs arent in competition with local pro teams. Kinda funny now that I think about it

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
How many Big Cities actually have successful pro teams and have a big College Programs to boot? L.A. with UCLA and USC are the only ones off the top of my head. Miami kinda. Most of the big name College programs arent in competition with local pro teams. Kinda funny now that I think about it
I guess there are times when randomly a college team will have a good year in a pro sports major market city, but it does seem to be rare. Like you said, LA is the best example, really. NYC doesn't have much. St John's in hoops, maybe? But they are not a national power. Chicago has some schools like DePaul and Northwestern isn't too far away, but they are hardly power teams. Which would be the closest major college sports program to the big Texas cities like Houston and Dallas? Miami has the Hurricanes, sometimes they are relevant and sometimes not. Boston College is not always relevant in Boston, etc...

I don't see why Columbus would need a pro team. Hockey and soccer have not exactly taken off at the pro level there. And in my opinion, the state is split enough over Cleveland/Cincinnati.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you might be on to somethang...maybe its not the big leagues strategy to compete agaist major colleges...:D

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i did hear Mike Coleman put in that he was interested in an NBA team. I heard this about a month ago on 97.1 (local coloumbus sports radio). They explained that the NBA has a few other cities it would consider to be better fits if a team would become avaliable. And radio DJs basically said don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
****, you live in that neck of the woods don't ya? Well after all that's already been said, would you rather watch OSU or another NFL team? No way anyone would move here with all the other places looking for a team. So it would have to be an expansion team and be in the NFC most likely. Not going to happen. They'd have to jockey the conferences around. My money is on you'd focus on OSU.

Ohio has enough minor and major league baseball, I don't see how we could have another team, but like jeffmo said, would probably be the most realistic.

Basketball, I don't think Columbus would support a team that much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts