Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
i'm asked all the time why i have so many bows...my first response is because i just love recurve bows,especially the ones from my years when i first seen one in a cabelas catalog...or some catalog...i first bought one in 1964,a shakespeare neceda...for 39$...i've recently bought a few necedas for over 100$ thats over 45 yrs.old:yikes:...and shoot nicely and still look like new...back in the 60s i ordered every bow manufacturers catalog there was...and there was soooo many bows in there that made me drool...i guess today i see it as a last chance to get that bow...back then i'd never have thought i'd be able to get those bows 45+yrs.later...i still feel that way when i see them as i did back then...but sometimes i must make a choice between bows,and a guy asked me yesterday why i picked a certain bow after i had chosen 3 i was interested in...why did i pick them three out of a hundred...my answer was they were in xcellent codition...but the one i finally picked...:mischeif:well heres why...:D

back then i had a thing for shorties...finally getting a 52"bear kodiak mag...around 1968...but the one i really drooled over was this lil 50"browning cobra...and yesterday was a chance to buy it...and its in xcellent cond...and still for about the price it was back in approx.1970...its just a beautiful bow as brownings were...

By null at 2012-05-05

a closer look...50"-58#

By null at 2012-05-06

but my first thought when i seen this bow on the rack...

By null at 2012-05-06

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What part were you in?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
we just went down to check out the pioneer area but were on zilpo road and to zilpo park right down to the lake,we checked out the campsites at the campground and drove some of the gravel roads off zilpo...pretty steep stuff there...i mean cliffs...:yikes:...next time down we plan on camping the weekend at zilpo camp ground and get out in the woods...i prolly shoulda bought my non res.with a turk permit...seen a couple turks cross the road in the short time we were there and one deer...:bouncy:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Man thats some dandy little recurve bow coonskinner! Browning really made some beautiful bows! I have a browning wasp recurve, but its not anything like you have there. Great photos to! scout4

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Man thats some dandy little recurve bow coonskinner! Browning really made some beautiful bows! I have a browning wasp recurve, but its not anything like you have there. Great photos to! scout4
got a couple wasps...very nice bows too...:D

decided to sling a few...and i do mean a few...:eek:

By null at 2012-05-06
man i just think about drawing this lil thang at 58# an 50" an my shoulder is jumpin an poppin an muh eyes are twitching......

By null at 2012-05-06

dang i got it back some,but as you see its pullin the bone right outa my arm...as said i shot it a few times...man i shoulda had wendy do this part...sad to say but this lil beast has a place on the wall...forever...

By null at 2012-05-06

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
we just went down to check out the pioneer area but were on zilpo road and to zilpo park right down to the lake,we checked out the campsites at the campground and drove some of the gravel roads off zilpo...pretty steep stuff there...i mean cliffs...:yikes:...next time down we plan on camping the weekend at zilpo camp ground and get out in the woods...i prolly shoulda bought my non res.with a turk permit...seen a couple turks cross the road in the short time we were there and one deer...:bouncy:
That's where the cabin is.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seen one high on a hill across the lake from the boat ramp...wondered if it was the one you posted pics of...:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep! Sure is a stout lil recurve! Back in the day, I could have shot it! Not no more Man! Have to be 20# lighter for me. Its still a beauty! scout4

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
If you woulda just kept going straight on clear creek rd, which turns into leatherwood, we're at the very end on oak rd. I believe we're south of where you were if you turned onto Zilpo.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you woulda just kept going straight on clear creek rd, which turns into leatherwood, we're at the very end on oak rd. I believe we're south of where you were if you turned onto Zilpo.

i seen clear creek and leatherwood...:bouncy:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Leatherwood actually bottoms out and runs a pretty good holler. Up top, near the private property, is where I see all the turkey. It's not bad walkin up there either, same as near tater knob.
I thought I saw you at the shoot down in the parking lot talking to someone. Ida said hey, but was busy with the kiddies.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Leatherwood actually bottoms out and runs a pretty good holler. Up top, near the private property, is where I see all the turkey. It's not bad walkin up there either, same as near tater knob.
I thought I saw you at the shoot down in the parking lot talking to someone. Ida said hey, but was busy with the kiddies.

is that tater knob in the pic i posted with the lake view...wait a minute,here it is...:biggrin:

By null at 2012-05-05

·
Registered
43 Posts
Man, I would love to see the pics you embedded but we just put a filter on our computer and I cant pull them up.
Those Browning bows and Shakspeare's were really good bows and often dont get the recognition they should ...in my opinon.
Browning made some fine bows.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
after today i realize this maybe should have been titled"why i don't buy"...i went to an antique store just off brice and livingston in reynoldsburg and came across my first decent bow find there...a right handed 50#browning wasp in very clean condition with original browning rest and sideplate but no doubt had a twisted limb which for me is no big deal...it had a 65$sticker,very reasonable...i flexed the limbs a lil with my hands just for feel and watching the limbs before tempting to string when wendy told me to stop there was something wrong with the limb...she directed me to the spot and sure enough there was a slight hump in the limb just about 2-3" from where the risor meets the limb...definately didnt look right and even got worse when flexed some...i seen no delamination at all but having two wasps already i decided against buying this bow as a wall hanger only...it was very clean but i do prefer my bows to be shooters too...sad to say i hate it when i see those selling somethang they know nothing about that could possibly hurt another inexperienced person buyin it...it was still fun locating a beauty like that...as always...great to hold and admire but i sure wish i could be shooting it right now...:D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Love the browning cobra, and sold one a few months ago. If I wasn't strictly a Bear collector I would own one. Right now I have a widow sitting on my bow bench in the case, and it just doesn't feel right to have in my house. As I have become an avid Fred Bear collector, I feel like this widow is Taboo. I had it traded for a signed Fred Bear Grizzly, but the guy I traded with had remorse, so I just couldn't keep the signed bow knowing that. Though the Widow is worth 3-400 more than the signed bow was. I guess he did me a favor. Now I can continue my search for a shootable signend Bear bow with the Widow as trading power.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love the browning cobra, and sold one a few months ago. If I wasn't strictly a Bear collector I would own one. Right now I have a widow sitting on my bow bench in the case, and it just doesn't feel right to have in my house. As I have become an avid Fred Bear collector, I feel like this widow is Taboo. I had it traded for a signed Fred Bear Grizzly, but the guy I traded with had remorse, so I just couldn't keep the signed bow knowing that. Though the Widow is worth 3-400 more than the signed bow was. I guess he did me a favor. Now I can continue my search for a shootable signend Bear bow with the Widow as trading power.
i got a few bears too...:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts