Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had spinning reels but thought about the bait caster. What are the Advantages and Disadvantages. I fish for small mouth and large mouth most of the time. I do some shore fishing on rivers and when weather gets better ill walk in the water and fish. I also take out my 10 ft john boat out on the lakes. I understand fishing a little more than a true rookie but any advice would be great.

·
Registered
143 Posts
how i do it is baitcasters for everthing ..but dropshoting and small stuff

with a baitcaster you have more power to get the fish in quick .you can use really big swimbaits :shhh:..if you fish deep water better feel ..you can put 65 lbs braid on... an use frogs way back up in the junk ...and you can dropshot with a baitcaster too...

spinning rods area great tool for lite line and small stuff ..

if i could only have one it would be a baitcaster just rember you get what you pay for in you reel

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I will stick with an old mitchell 300, a 7' graphite rod for not only casting distance but accuracy too. For salt water, a mitchell 306 or 302.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My $.02 : bait casting reels are much more accurate than S.C. They have better drags for bigger fish. Yes, harder to master.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Ahhh Antique...the ol' Mitchell 300! My dad has one from when he was a kid and still uses to this day!
i continue to use an ole 300 too...caught bass up to 5# with them,plenty of power,maybe a good rod has a lil to do with it too...i've caught up to 9# bass on micro lite spinning outfits with 40#+braided line...no problem...i've caught catfish up to 15# in river with same outfit and braided line to 65#...reels basically store line...rods do the work...:biggrin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Prefrence i would say. I use nothing but baitcasters 98% of the time. I only use a spinning reel for dropshoting and shakey heads. I would say to buy a good baitcaster if you do purchase one it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
bamboo pole and some feesh line an bobber - good rig - dang :mischeif::whistle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts