Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My uncle has been seeing this gobbler strutting/gobbling in his yard and around his home in Lithopolis, Ohio. Is this a cross breed between domestic and wild or is this just an odd colored turkey?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Had 2 hens running my property with similar white shading. One was so light colored I thought she was an albino. It wasn't until she passed under my deer stand that I realized she was a very light grey. The other was more similar to your tom, in that the light shading was more isolated (wings and tail). There are no domestic turkeys anywhere near my property; so I believe (at least in my case) this was just a mutation. That was 2 years ago. Haven't seen anything similar since then.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
5,040 Posts
I believe it's probably a "smoke phase" gobbler, they are rare and even rarer to have so much gray on them.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Cool looking bird, does he have a beard? Can't tell in pic.

I would maybe send the pic to someone at the ODNR (biologist) and see what they think. If it is a domestic cross, you may want to take him out of the gene pool sooner than later.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
When I had my domestic Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys years ago, on occasion I would come home and a wild hen would be laying near the pen waiting to be bread by a gobbler. Mine would gobble at a leaf falling it seemed. Always attracted things. A white gobbler could maybe mate with a wild hen. I was always told that the domestics were too stupid to complete mating. Mine never did. I was told all commercial chicks were from artificial incem.

Your pic is a beautiful tom regardless.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ive seen that before. smoke phase is accurate. it comes from a melanin deficiancy. melanin is what give turkeys the brown color. it is very rare i want to say like 1 per 75000 birds but i could be pullin that outta the air. cool bird though! id shoot him!
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
5,040 Posts
Congrats to your uncle, was it a jake or an older bird?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bawana- Im not sure how old the burd is, hopefully have some word after the taxi skins it out.

Buchhntr1- Here is a bird from the Cambridge area. I don't know the guy, it a buddy of a buddy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts