Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type of stand have most of you had better success using on public land: Hang-on or Climber?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I would have said climber up until last year.

But if you get a good quality hang on, with a set of good sticks, you may be surprised.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Success is based on stand placement,not what kinda stand...RIGHT?????

A lightweight quality hang on/stick combo will go in ANY tree....Do you wanna hunt for a tree,or hunt the hot spot in THE BEST tree around?With practice you will be as faster an quieter then ANY of the climber guru's..And you wont be looking for the perfect climber tree....I am not knocking a climber(I just sold a loaded lightweight summit I had about 350$ in everything )..But facts are fact in this case.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love the hang on but on public land I would think some turd would steal it or hunt in it unless you hang the steps every time you hunt.

Mathews Helim Tactical

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I would have said climber up until last year.

But if you get a good quality hang on, with a set of good sticks, you may be surprised.

I agree get a hangon with a set of rapid rails, easy to carry, easy to climb, very little noise!

I like climbers as well tho.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Some turd will sit in it, the next turd will steal it and probably leave a empty Busch can in it's place!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
You pack the hang on and sticks in an out with you...Simple concept right?

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I'm not going to argue with you OMO.. BUT. I have hunted public land for 25 years with that being said a nice climber on your back hiking in for 40+mins to an hour, Nothing beats a good climber.. I know that a hang on has it's place but as stated several times. If left it will get stolen or used.. There is no way that you can get up a tree as quiet and as fast as I can in a climber. And ther is know way you can carry them in as quiet and comfy as a climber.. In 98% of the cases with-in a 20yd circle I can find a tree to climb..

Yes a face to face race can be arranged.. LOL

Stinks is right to each there own, But give the guy the correct info..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Mossy pretty much summed it up.

With a set of sticks and a hang on, you can hunt any tree. If you look at the LW hangons and sticks, they are just as light as just about any climbers. The sticks and the stand fit together and carry quite nicely.

I like climbers too, I have one. I don't like sitting in it as much as I do a hang on, and I feel safer in a hang on as well. I have had my climber slide while I was sitting in it, and I used all the straps like I was directed to. Plus, if I have to hike 45 minutes or more to my spot, and I plan on hunting that spot for a few consecutive days, I only have to pack in once. I can leave the hang on and a set or two of stick higher in the tree, and ony remove the bottom couple sets of sticks. That way nobody will be able to get to it, and the chances of anyone noticing them anyways, while I'm not there, are fairly slim.

They all have their place, I will still use my climber in alot of situations.

It all boils down to personal preference. I dang sure wouldn't leave my hang on in a spot where someone would notice it or has access to it though, for sure.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I'm not going to argue with you OMO.. BUT. I have hunted public land for 25 years with that being said a nice climber on your back hiking in for 40+mins to an hour, Nothing beats a good climber.. I know that a hang on has it's place but as stated several times. If left it will get stolen or used.. There is no way that you can get up a tree as quiet and as fast as I can in a climber. And ther is know way you can carry them in as quiet and comfy as a climber.. In 98% of the cases with-in a 20yd circle I can find a tree to climb..

Yes a face to face race can be arranged.. LOL

Stinks is right to each there own, But give the guy the correct info..
Who gave incorrect info???
Can part of the race also include you looking for a tree:confused:,that only seems fair,right?:bouncy:....My sticks an hang on weigh 22LB and pack in and out very easily..And I see zero reason why it would pack louder either way..Are you familiar with lone wolfs system stick/stand system,how it is made to pack together and how efficiently it can be deployed?I make one trip(2 on occasion) up the tree when setting it..Quick run down..I find the HOT spot,(no expert on this part:nono:).In seconds I pick the first tree I see that is best for the hotspot(cover etc,not height)..I pull my sticks off my stand(stick caddy already attached)..The pull rope for the stand is already on it..I throw a pull rope on my bow an gear an throw my stick caddys strap over my shoulder.I have 1 rope hooked on my left for the stand,bow an gear rope is hooked to my right..Using my safety harness in conjunction with a linemans belt.. Pull the 1st stick,throw the strap around the tree,loop it around the versa button an cinch it down(no ratcheting here).Step up on the stick an the stick will drop/settle a little,Grab stick numero dos from the stick caddy,place it about 2ft(give or take) from teh other...Same process and on up we go...Once ya get to the top of you 3rd or 4th stick...Pull up your stand,You will have a top an bottom cinch strap,both with versa buttons.And I prefer to use the offset bracket on my..You see how this is going right??I will provide some video as well...This set up will go in an tree no matter if crooked,straight,limbs,forked trunks(love them ones)..The hanging bracket can offset from the tree,the seat and platform both have leveling capabilities..As far as comfort,when I had my summit the stock seat(widely known for comfort)never got used..I chose a more functional Hazmore silent sling seat..I would do the same in any climber...I found a the side rails on the climber limiting for shots sitting down as well......Im far from a expert or even successful hunter..But I like my toys to be the best,and work the best,and I want to have 100% confidence in them.....

It takes time for a fella to get good with this system..But it also takes time for a fella to get good at setting a climber right to start,so it levels out..

Its really best for a guy to own every type of stand an some blinds..I aint made of money an thanks to the current POTUS,time are hard for some of us..So if I am limited to ONE stand,its the one I got.......

Here are a few videos/links outlining why I like these so much,and why they are so effective ..

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/videos/instructional-videos/using-the-offset-bracket_20
http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/videos/instructional-videos/lone-wolf-offset-bracket_27

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/videos/instructional-videos/alpha-hang-on-treestand-promo_23

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts....ching-climbing-sticks-to-hang-on-treestand_19

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
I think the moral of the story is they are both good options. Probably a few pros and cons for each. However, the stand type you pick really isn't going to make you more or less succesful for the most part. Yes it has to be comfortable enough to sit in and it can't make a bunch of noise, etc....etc. However, it's going to be things like your preparation in scouting, scent control, and weapon proficiency that will make more of a difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
just an idea, I buy my hangons cheap from sportsman guide when they are on sale for like 25 bucks.

I hang the hangon in the tree I like and leave it there.

All I carry in is the climbing sticks, now if a theif wants to find my stand, go get a ladder, climb up the tree, cut the lock, and take it then go ahead, but other than that I am comfortable leaving a 25 dollar stand 20 feet off the ground with no ladder around.

I do this on private land, dont hunt public from a tree to much. Not sure if you can leave it in the tree or not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
just an idea, I buy my hangons cheap from sportsman guide when they are on sale for like 25 bucks.

I hang the hangon in the tree I like and leave it there.

All I carry in is the climbing sticks, now if a theif wants to find my stand, go get a ladder, climb up the tree, cut the lock, and take it then go ahead, but other than that I am comfortable leaving a 25 dollar stand 20 feet off the ground with no ladder around.

I do this on private land, dont hunt public from a tree to much. Not sure if you can leave it in the tree or not.
Ditto, this is exactly what I do on public land. Think about it, if you stumble across a stand what draws your eye to it? Usually the ladder or steps protruding from the tree and not the stand itself. Here it goes, I am just opening the door for saying this but so far I haven't had a stand stolen on public land.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts