Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

What would you do?

4K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Buck Buster 
#1 ·
A co-worker gets a text while we are at work from his non-hunting father-in-law who is a city cop. He has a deer in a cemetery with a broken leg that needs to be put down. The cop doesn't like shooting animals or having to fill out the paperwork for discharging his firearm. He says its a big buck.
Free meat...sure. But then there's the other issue. It's too big not to mount, but then I never really hunted the deer in the first place so there is no reason to mount it.

So the question: Shoot it or not? What do you do with it?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I wouldn't tag it if it's getting put down because it's been hit by a car the officer or local sheriffs office should be able to give you a carcass tag.

#8 ·
I'm sure I'm not alone, but I've taken so many deer with legs that have healed over weird after a break and when the animal is on the move, it's hard to tell!! I'm sure MRex can remember tripod from my high school days, she outran Tyler and I on a quad in an open filed, missing an entire front leg!! He would have been fine I'd say!!

#9 ·
Paperwork involved? Either something has changed from my time in law enforcement or this guy is really lazy! All I ever had to do was fill out a handwritten card saying why I had to discharge my sidearm and then fill out the deer slip and give to the person taking the deer. It was 2 minutes of paperwork and nothing complicated.

Reactions: R. Toker
#11 ·
As working for my local sheriffs office I handle tons of deer vs. car accidents. The area that we patrol and respond to calls on a regular basis is strictly rural. Every department is different as far as discharging a weapon, for me as an example, I don't have to get permission from my Sgt. Lt. ect. to shoot an injured animal, I just do it and advise dispatch. We issue a ODNR carcass tag and call it a day, no report or anything is required from my sheriff. However some departments require permission from whoever the OIC is beforehand and an automatic report to be generated afterwards. A report only takes 10 minutes and thats it. In my opinion it was just laziness but hey thats just my 2 cents though..do a euro mount and call it a day. Easy, cheap and just a little time and thats it

#12 ·
Of course you shoot it! Then, depending on your age, you come up with a great, and I mean really great, hunting story on just how it happened. Now you know it will be totally unethical of you to change the size of the antler rack or the number of points that it could have had if you display it in a mount. That's a risk only you can decide if you're willing to take. And, according to some leading experts on the matter (Patrick McManus?) you can only modify your story and the size of the antlers once or twice up until you turn 65 years old. After that, anything goes.

#13 ·
My neighbor hit a deer and destroyed the front end of his mini-van. Said it even bounced off his windshield. Called Co Sheriff’s Dept to put her down. By the time the Sheriff came, the deer laid on the ground and did not move. When he showed up about an hour later, neighbor and he walked up on the deer and it got up and walk slowly and breathing heavy into the woods. The Dep Sheriff said, it had no broken legs or external bleeding so refused to shoot it. There is no way that deer wasn’t bleeding internally and walked off to die and suffered until it did. He said you could hear the deer having a hard time breathing.

Why is it a problem for many LE to do the right thing anymore in these cases? I can not remember in the past, stories like these in the past few years.

#14 ·
My neighbor hit a deer and destroyed the front end of his mini-van. Said it even bounced off his windshield. Called Co Sheriff's Dept to put her down. By the time the Sheriff came, the deer laid on the ground and did not move. When he showed up about an hour later, neighbor and he walked up on the deer and it got up and walk slowly and breathing heavy into the woods. The Dep Sheriff said, it had no broken legs or external bleeding so refused to shoot it. There is no way that deer wasn't bleeding internally and walked off to die and suffered until it did. He said you could hear the deer having a hard time breathing.

Why is it a problem for many LE to do the right thing anymore in these cases? I can not remember in the past, stories like these in the past few years.
Because there is a lot of B.S. that goes with firing a gun, LEO or not. Red tape for everything. I was on my way home from a wedding on a rural road about midnight and drove past a state trooper pulled into the grass with the lights on, driver door open and no cop in sight. I drove past and called my buddy (the groom) who was in front of me and said i'm going back something isn't right. I pulled up and here is some little tiny trooper woman walking out of the woods and says someone hit a deer and she was putting it down, says she shot it with her pistol one time in the neck. I said I hunt, grab the 870 or the AR and put 2 shots into its side or with the pistol and she said they aren't allowed to shoot more than like 2 rounds to dispatch an animal and asks if i have a knife and tells me cut its throat. I'm in dress clothes so i said here ya go and she says i'm not doing that its nasty! The doe passed away by the time we walked back over to her. Dept policy-keep your job.

#16 ·
So, in other words, with threats, shame and intimidation we have disarmed our police without actually disarming them. Britain and France would be proud. smh
I have to say this. Dude your a freaking loon!!! No where did it say anything about disarming anyone, no one said anything about the GOVT coming to get us or sucking our brains. I said its dangerous when your in a neighborhood or cemetery which most likely has homes around it people don't want rounds fired unnecessarily! Should the animal be put down to end its suffering? Yes, Should the officer be allowed to slap a mag in an AR 15 and dump a 30rd mag? Hell no!!! I can see where a dept policy is 2 shots because if you cant put it down with 2 shots then well maybe you need some training in where to shoot an animal, better ammo, etc. and if by some chance some PETA yahoo comes by and sees the cop shoot a deer with 10-15 rounds in it the dept, officer, etc will be all over the news in a bad light. Any deer hunter knows how tough these animals can be and shooting one close range with any firearm is kind of violent, some officers don't hunt and maybe animal lovers and may not have the heart to shoot the animal close range. I hunt and ill tell you right now i couldn't shoot something close up like that but watching it suffer i would do what i had to do to end it.

You really need a therapist man! Not everything is ani govt, out to get you, me, or anyone else for that matter! Sometimes a little common sense is needed in a situation.

#18 ·
You say the deer was hit buy a car, the broken leg is probably the least of its injury. It probably has terminal injuries inside, if it only had a broken leg it probably would not be laying there now. I had a buck coming into my place at night that was missing a left hind leg at the knee, we saw him only at night. He was a big deer, and had a good size rack also, but the right side antler was always deformed. Saw him for about 3 or 4 years only at night, he would limp very bad but when you scared him he would run like nothing was wrong with him. I have read and heard that a buck that has an injury will have a deformed antler on the opposite side of that injury. So in sight of this I would say it should be put down as soon as possible to end its suffering, here in PA it is illegal to hunt in a cemetery you would have to get a warden or a policeman to dispatch it. Again a leg being shot off is one thing, being broken from a hit by a car is another, it probably has other injuries. Good luck hunting and be safe.

#20 ·
Hillbillynohio : The story you told about the deer having a hard time breathing; I worked part time as a wildlife conservation officer here in PA for 25 years and you are probably wright about that deers fate. The sound that was heard was probably blood that was entering her breathing passages somewhere, sad way to go. Good luck hunting and be safe.

#21 · (Edited)
As working for my local sheriffs office I handle tons of deer vs. car accidents. The area that we patrol and respond to calls on a regular basis is strictly rural. Every department is different as far as discharging a weapon, for me as an example, I don't have to get permission from my Sgt. Lt. ect. to shoot an injured animal, I just do it and advise dispatch. We issue a ODNR carcass tag and call it a day, no report or anything is required from my sheriff. However some departments require permission from whoever the OIC is beforehand and an automatic report to be generated afterwards. A report only takes 10 minutes and thats it. In my opinion it was just laziness but hey thats just my 2 cents though..do a euro mount and call it a day. Easy, cheap and just a little time and thats it
We have the same sort of policy at our S.O. on wounded animals, my guys don't have to ask me to put down a wounded deer. Log it with dispatch and have them contact someone close who is on the deer list, yes there is a deer list. Just like with citizens, there is surely a difference with how the city guys handle this situation compared to those of us in the hill country. K.I.S.S. is always a good method. The uniform guys also carry receipts from the ODNR for the carcass so less is wasted.

Reactions: dennis.38
#22 ·
I'm A loon? laugh, you are worried about PETA? If that is how you think we should base when, where and how our LE is too shoot a suffering animal. I think you need to look in the mirror on who is the loon. And who mentioned an a AR and 30rd mag? Now you are just making crap up. 2 shots, why not 3, that is the legal amount of ammo a hunter is allowed. How about 1 bullet, in their pocket? Barney Fife would be happy. "Nip it! Nip it in the Bud!" LOL
ohihunter2014 is really good at making friends. Seems like everywhere I go its the same story, and here I thought it was just me he didn't like.

Reactions: HillbillynOhio
#28 ·
Good buddy of mine killed a great 9 pointer but when he opened it up, the was a Muzzy broad head inside the shoulder. The bone had grew over it, he still keeps them n on his desk at the house. It is really neat.
Definitely pulled out plenty of arrow shafts, broadheads, and slugs!! Deer are relentless in the struggle to survive, as we all would be!!

#29 ·
Of course you shoot it! Then, depending on your age, you come up with a great, and I mean really great, hunting story on just how it happened. Now you know it will be totally unethical of you to change the size of the antler rack or the number of points that it could have had if you display it in a mount. That's a risk only you can decide if you're willing to take. And, according to some leading experts on the matter (Patrick McManus?) you can only modify your story and the size of the antlers once or twice up until you turn 65 years old. After that, anything goes.
Lmao on that one blackcat!!!

#32 ·
I don't disappear I just get tired of arguing with an idiot and I have meaningful employment. I'm going to bypass the "tightening gun laws" comment so my head doesn't have to explode and run out my ears on a Wednesday morning. Other than that I'll say this. I've been coming to this site since 2003 and I've never been more ashamed to be associated with some of the ideas and thoughts on here in all that time. Now, for my own sanity, I'm staying away from any deer thread outside of my hunting team and this will be my last year for that, guaranteed. For those of you who can understand that 95% of the time I'm either giving an alternative opinion or just busting chops I'll be in the other forums. So now, feel free to complain and moan all you want but most importantly try to remember what brought us all here in the first place, the sport of hunting, not the sport of bitching about bag limits and doe harvests.

Reactions: Bryan six
#33 · (Edited)
give an opinion but don't be a condescending DICK about it like taking shots at people #employment. #mywaysbetter #imgoingtocallpeopleidiotslikeachild. Ive yet to see a valid response in the deer threads where you didn't come off as a giant *******! #myheadwillexplodebecauseidontlikesomeoneelsecomment #onlymycommentmattersorillsayrude****topeople.

I can take a good chop busting and so can a lot of others but no reason to be rude.

I care a lot about hunting, fishing, etc and that's why i get bothered when its going down hill but when you constantly attack people i draw the line. I can be an ahole sometimes but you really have to push me to call someone an idiot, etc i guess its easier hiding behind a computer screen for some. I too am done with this site. We all want what's best for our sport but it seems that we are divided because our own views don't meet the criteria of others therefore, we degrade, bully, badmouth, talk down to each other instead of sitting back and saying well if it works for this guy then good for him, etc. I look at it this way i am in it for a deer and if i don't see deer on a particular parcel i will move onto another one. I don't need 3 deer a year as one is sufficient so buck or doe if i don't shoot it the other hunter that comes in after me will and not think twice. do i agree with a lot of the posts about the herd going to ****? yep! Do i agree with the constant don't shoot this or that? Nope! I see first hand how mad NE/NW Ohio is for not even seeing a deer track in the snow and can only imagine what its like in S Ohio where hunting is more prominent.

We have new people on here and i was that way too and they look for info. If one guy tells them the sky is falling which it partially is for most of us and then someone who and not saying this to be an ahole hunts his uncles farm all by his lonesome says nothings wrong then that guy will have contradicting info and not know what to do. I used to get tons of pictures, sightings, etc. on one farm and now nothing because the neighbor baits the **** out of them and kills them so now its ruined. Part of me says shoot the first thing i see before the neighbor does and then i think well if i do that and then he shoots one tomorrow that's 2 deer gone instead of hopefully one. Now another farm i had 6-8 doe grouped up in the fall running around and i doubt the other guys got any so ill take a doe or buck from there. Each place is different and each person hunts for a different reason. I don't need to shoot a ton of deer for the meat cause Wal-Mart's cheaper. Each year i watch us get more and more divided. Oh you only shot a 90'' deer psshhhh! Oh, you shot a 200'' woohoo your the best thing since sliced bread and then the ego starts on how they are a better hunter, better this or that. oh you shoot a crossgun your the demon and im a better hunter but don't dare call yourself a bow hunter cause its a crossgun. Its bullsht is what it is.

I have yet to agree on anything anyone has said for buck only, doe only, 10 tags, etc. I do think that we are screwed because too many get killed. I can shoot 3 in my county and then go several over to more land i have access to and kill 2 more. That's ridiculous! if someone does it and i know guys who do i shrug it off because its none of my business but when you constantly personally attack someone because you think they are wrong and your right that's f-d up! Its never a discussion anymore its arguments im right, your wrong and that's it and yeah, I've become a part of some of them because i feel very passionate about this sport.

I got nothing against you and several others but when you always have to have some smart ass remark call people idiots and see just how rude you can be to them because you don't agree with them something's wrong. I'm not saying i'm an angel but when you have nothing nice to say don't say it.

I jumped hillbillies **** because he constantly comes here and tells us how ohio sucks, America sucks and guns, guns, guns. we have bigger issues in this country then guns and it gets annoying. you don't like it move!!!

#34 ·
I Appreciate your quote Toker but with all due respect, bag limits and doe harvests are a very controlling part of the sport of hunting. Without sound management by sound managers the sport we all love will eventually fad away, especially with all the anti hunters and anti gun activist that are out their today. Nobody likes everything everybody says and there are times I get P O also by what I think is an idiot type of a statement, but please try to turn the other cheek our strength to fight the real goonies is in numbers. UNITED WE STAND DEVIDED WE ALL FALL. Have a good day toke, see you later I hope. Good luck hunting and be safe.

#39 ·
Right on 63, many of the wildlife managements across the country are working very hard to put themselves out of a job due to mismanagement. They are more worried about money than they are the wildlife. They cant see the green of the forest because the green of the almighty dollar is blocking their view! Good luck hunting and be safe.

#43 ·
sd136405 : How far can a post like this rely go when there are relatively few options in this situation? Also when the moment arises that you have a chance to maybe keep our cherished sport from dying, and it is dying, I will chime in. If our sport dies so does this forum, there will be nothing to talk about but memories. Sorry if I upset you and your father, and I do agree with you that we should try to stay with the meaning of the posts origin, but as I said I seen something that I thought should be addressed so I addressed it. I hope there are no hard feelings. Good luck hunting and be safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.