Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which caliber would be the all time all around caliber for just about everything legal to hunt in the US.I'm not asking brand or models here just caliber?I think the 30/06 or the 7mm mag is the all around caliber, am i right.I am looking into buying a new rifle this summer and was wanting something that i could use from ground hogs to elk size animals.Thanks for the imput
It is a toss up between the
1.)7mm mag
2.)30/06
3.)300 mag

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I were aloud only 1 round for everything from groundhogs to brown bear it would be the .30-06. While being on the lite side for moose and brown bear it will still do the job and with the 130 grn. Speer HP`s it will shot point blank on groundhogs out to 270 yrds. The old -06 is not an out standing round for anything, but it does every thing well.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
30-06 and the 12 gauge.;)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A grizzly huh? That's a beast for sure!

I would only use a 10ga. to throw shot at high flyin' birds or to get a little extra distance on a tom.

I would take a Browning BAR in .300 as my multi rifle.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info guys it looks like the 30/06 is the one everyone seems to like here, but i'm leaning towards the 7mm though we will have to see at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would probably go with the 30-06 or 7Mag, I will throw another round into the ring a say the 308 might get a look, the first centerfire rifle I bought was a 30-06, if you are a reloader one small thing that you might consider is that they say there are more 7MM bullets out there to choose from, if I were to hunt any of the larger bears or moose/elk etc I might go with the 7Mag...I would hate to see a trophy elk in my crosshairs and have the thought creep in my head...do I have enough gun??? if you are going to be hunting groundhogs on a regular basis do your shoulder a favor and eventually get a 223 or 22-250.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree if you want energy to burn the 308 might not be a top choice, if this round will be used for BIG game...if its for deer sized game a below it could be the ticket, they are wonderfully accurate, I have a 700VS in 308 and wouldnt part with it for the world, another option might be to buy as many rifles as Carter has peanuts and not have to rely on just 1, now if I can figure out a way to do that life would be GOOD:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts