Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I had to work yesterday. I did not hear a peep out of the birds that roost in the east woodlot. The birds in the west woodlot were gobbling like crazy and the hens were yacking it up. Called in a jake at 8am that would not shut up. Heard another gobble around 9:30am but far off. Had to come in a little after 10am to get some things done.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Had Gobbling until 11:30 am this morning off and on all morning had One come close made a circle around me and kept on going.:mad:

They where very active this morning but looks like they had hens with them .
xcsp

·
Banned
955 Posts
Moved in tight on a bird gobbling on the roost (100-125 yards away). He flew down and did not make a peep. Sat for close to two hours and decided to move closer to where we last heard him on the roost........gave out a series of calls on my slate and he responded 125 yards on the next ridge. We set up quick and within 15 min he was standing looking at us with a hen. My partner thought he had a clear shot so he took it only to see the bird run off:( We looked for 30 min and never did find him.......think it was a clean miss. Still fun striking one later in the morning and have him come in like that. We stepped it off and it was 38 steps. The way he was walking he wasn't getting closer. Oh well.......always next time

·
Registered
577 Posts
Short day, out by 8 due to church, but saw a few hens and alot of very fresh tracks of both hens and gobblers. Really wish I coulda stayed, think this would have been a great morning to sit and wait. Didn't hear anything, but it could of been one of those things where I just wasn't in the right block of woods. Won't be out again till Saturday, but gonna hunt hard this weekend. Hope the hens are on the nests by then!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts