Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the cam companies like a north facing camera placement. Also how high do you like to mount your cameras? There are good and bad points to both the high and low placements.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
in a tree about 10 feet off the ground sitting on a homemade bracket that angles the camera about 45 degrees. helps prevent theft and i think deer dont notice it as much.

downside...i gotta use climbing sticks to set it and check it....but ive had too much stuff stolen on private property.

·
Administrator
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes I think the low angles catch more animals.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
in a tree about 10 feet off the ground sitting on a homemade bracket that angles the camera about 45 degrees. helps prevent theft and i think deer dont notice it as much.

downside...i gotta use climbing sticks to set it and check it....but ive had too much stuff stolen on private property.
Neat idea with the sticks..Looks like a couple of my lone wolf stick may be pulling double duty...Only issue I see for me,is when I check a cam on the way to or back from hunting...I would have to pack or unpack to use the sticks..

I currently tend to hang mine about 5 or 6ft up(if the tree allows).I shoot for a north facing setup,followed by whatever 2nd best(duh right?)..If neither is a good option I will go with say a NW NE or SW SE or whatever angle..Only if I think it will work out fine pic wise and to my advantage

...If I think there coming through in the morning I have no problem facing a cam West or NW..This will lead to wasted an washed out pics come afternoon an evening..But if the goal is AM pics only,im all for it.I would rather not point .Same thing for a evening trail or such..
.Sometimes there is a hill or bank or such blocking the sun.

Sounds crazy,but there is a method to my madness sometimes.n from the south,east or west..So you can get away with more..In the end im just a hack like most of us:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Sometimes I think the low angles catch more animals.
unfortuneatly, last time i used a low straight angle camera...i didnt get to see what was on it because someone stole the card and batteies out.

so i will sacrifice a few pics to get my stuff back..most thieves are pretty lazy

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I set mine up about 3 feet off the ground on a tree or fence post.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I put mine about 3to 4ft off the ground and to be honest I have a cheap cam and it takes good pics so if someone steals it I could easily take my POP can collection in and. Get another one!!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
288 Posts
I set my cams 2-3 feet off the ground. I'm addicted to the looking up angle...always trying for the "perfect shot".

·
Registered
80 Posts
I put mine about 3to 4ft off the ground and to be honest I have a cheap cam and it takes good pics so if someone steals it I could easily take my POP can collection in and. Get another one!!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Which camera model/manufacturer is it? i would like a cheap one to place on some public land that isnt like a cuddy. I know its a stupid idea but any private land i would hunt is 2.5 hrs away, the public land is not used as much and i feel that some of the places i could put it could be somewhere that most folks wouldnt even normally venture to

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where and how I mount mine depends on the lay of the land and the shape of the tree I attach it to. Usually it's between 4' and 6' high; sometimes I use a stick behind the cam to angle it downward.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where and how I mount mine depends on the lay of the land and the shape of the tree I attach it to. Usually it's between 4' and 6' high; sometimes I use a stick behind the cam to angle it downward.
i use this method as well. works great for me. but i would like to try the looking up method. seems you could get some intresting pics

·
Registered
909 Posts
well so far this year ive went and bought camlock boxes with the swivel bracket and man i love them. got the bracket lag bolted to the tree about 7 to 8 feet in the air to deter morons aka thieves. the downward angle takes pretty good pics and gives you a great wide shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most of the times I have my camera Facing North and 3-4 feet high and angled down.LDH I like the idea of the higher placement in the tree or post for theft reasons.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Why i try to keep the cam facing away from the sun and in a semi brushy area that is less obvious to the human/annimal eye.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
why i try to keep the cam facing away from the sun and in a semi brushy area that is less obvious to the human/annimal eye.
+2

rgjz06

1 - 18 of 18 Posts