Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure it is a butler garter snake. There were a few underline a wood pile I was tossing into the fire ring tonight. Saw another when lighting the fire. We are in northern pickaway county. I don't mind them as long as I know they are not poisonous which I am pretty sure this one is not.

Sorry for the bad pic but it was dark. uploadfromtaptalk1338173820724.jpg

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Can't tell from the pic. If you can get close enough to see the eyes, check the shape of the pupil of the eye. I'm pretty sure that snakes that are considered harmless have round pupils, while the dangerous ones have vertical pupils.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm by no means a snake expert but I've seen many a black and yellow garter snakes. Based on the picture and not being able to see any other details, I'd guess that's what you have there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah sorry about the pic. Round head, round eyes. Very Curios but not aggressive. Long yellow stripes lingth of the body. Had a base pattern of fine checkering almost like a copperheard.

I am not a big snake fan, but I am past my killem all stage. Wife and kids agent though. Once I validate what these are I am going to put my foot down on leaving them alone.

I'll try to get a better pic today. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
By your decsription its a garter. Id kill all them snakes. I cant stand them no matter if they are harmless or not. I like to kill them big water snakes and eat them. They are real good tastin if you fry them in fish crisp.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
if they cant escape they will play dead...theyre really a neat,nice snake...pick em up,play with them...:biggrin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah no plans on picking them up. They were fun to watch last night though. Youngest thought they were amazing.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It's a garter, but what subspecies, I can't tell by the picture.
Glad to see you didn't kill it. If it is a butlers, they're protected.

Oh what a sportsman to kill every snake they see. If you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.
Here's one I found saturday night.

Along with this thing. I killed it because I can't stand them.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
It's a garter, but what subspecies, I can't tell by the picture.
Glad to see you didn't kill it. If it is a butlers, they're protected.

Oh what a sportsman to kill every snake they see. If you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.
Here's one I found saturday night.

Along with this thing. I killed it because I can't stand them.

What good does a snake do that makes it just so.terrible that I kill them?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
In the age of computers and the net, it'd be an easy google search to find out how beneficial snakes are to an ecosystem.
I've found that giving folks reasons normally ends with a rebuttal. It's hard to argue with yourself.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
In the age of computers and the net, it'd be an easy google search to find out how beneficial snakes are to an ecosystem.
I've found that giving folks reasons normally ends with a rebuttal. It's hard to argue with yourself.

I don't care how beneficial they are, their place around my neck of the woods is right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy. Haha

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
If you're talking about the one I posted it is in fact a timber rattlesnake (Crotolus horridus).
It's one of three venomous snakes native to Ohio, two of which are protected, the timber and eastern massasauga. Copperheads, the third, are not.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If you're talking about the one I posted it is in fact a timber rattlesnake (Crotolus horridus).
It's one of three venomous snakes native to Ohio, two of which are protected, the timber and eastern massasauga. Copperheads, the third, are not.

I thought he was talkin about the original garter snake. Where did you find that rattler?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thought I detected a angular head. Had those in SE, Ohio growing up. Not a fan. How big was he?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts