Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am after a new target.. I have bought bag's before but the don't seem to hold up. I have been looking at a rinehart 1-18 smaller target..(so I can shoot it out of my stands.) I want something that is going to hold up. I shoot a Bowtech destroyer 340..

·
Registered
887 Posts
Are you wanting to shoot field tips, broad heads, or both?

For field tips I like the yellow jacket bag target. They aren't the cheapest but I have on that has held up for 3 years of shooting now.

I also picked up the yellow jacket block target for broad head but have only shot that one season so the jury is still out. The yellow jacket block can handle both broad head and field tip depending on which side you shoot.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to be able to shoot broadheads in it also. But I can always buy a crappy syrofoam block target for 20 bucks that would work.

I really want one that will last and not tear up to bad.

·
5,040 Posts
I'm kind of in your boat, I've got a "big green" target that has handled field points for two years and is still going strong, but I'd like a good 3D target that I don't need a winch to pull the arrows out!

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
hate to say this but if youre shooting broadheads and often,theres not a target made that will hold up long...in fact if one shoots enough in a day they can shoot it to pieces...if you can make a sand pit you will have a target that will never wear out but its not very portable...i'd just buy the cheapie...they last about as long... i use black hole and theyre as good as anythang made...i've had bout all and even with recurves and a lot of shooting it isnt long theyre history,i just stretch it out as long as i can to get a new one...i do feel once you get your broadheads flying like your fieldpoints,most of your shooting can be with field points into a bag target that lasts much longer than rubber.this is how to make that rubber broadheadONLY target last longer...just a lil broadhead check from time to time keeps you confident your broadheads are still the same as your fied tips...just be sure you always resharpen or replace blades thats been used...most of my practice is on bag targets that last a long time...i do practice shoot my broadheads after each hunting session from my stand,i empty the quiver but one...i also carry a couple field points too...i simply pick out a leaf in the direction i come in to stand so to keep scent at minimum when i retreive the arrows as i walk out...:D

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I'm kind of in your boat, I've got a "big green" target that has handled field points for two years and is still going strong, but I'd like a good 3D target that I don't need a winch to pull the arrows out!
Big green would be my recommendation for a field tip target as well..Blob targets are pretty much the toughest around for either tips,but ya may wanna use arrow lube on your arrows with them..A blob will hold up to any broadhead,better,longer an more often then just about any other target

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blob targets??????

I went out and bought a Rinehart 18-1 today. It was $110 but I had a $10 card so 116.50 with tax. I have been told to use lube/dove soap. I am going out to shoot here in a few I'll will give my review later this evening...

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my daughter and I took a few shots at the new Rinehart 18-1 target and I must say that it is a great target. I can say that each hole an arrow made was almost gone after my next round of shots. I see it holding up to many many many rounds of shooting. The paint that they have on it I can see waring off. Some spots of the paint are bubbled with air under it but really I could care less. It is heavy enough that it doesn't move when shot. I also find that it is small enough to carry in the woods and take some practice shots out of a stand.

I am very happy with the target other than the price. LOL

I will update if I have any problems...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Rinehart target that is the size of a basketball and has held up very well for a couple of years. (It is not my primary target and gets occasional use.) The targets I use for most of my shooting are a big home made bag target for field tips and a Blob target for field tips and broadheads. The Blob is the best broadhead target I've ever used, hands down, and I shoot alot. I've shot up many other BH targets and it is holding up WAY better than anything else I've ever used. It does need to be "softened up" with broadheads before trying field tips as the arrows are hard to pull until the target is broken in. This is going into the third season for it and it is showing very little damage. I'm not trying to sell these or anything,but sometimes you find an item that fills a need perfectly. Just sharing my good experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's made of some kind of industrial foam. I believe they make them in Georgia. They have a website with a lot of info.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I bought a glen del buck in 07 and I shoot almost every day.. Shoot broad heads a bunch too. You have 4 different sides to shoot. I get about 2 years out of the replacement core. They run about $50. If you don't shoot a bunch you could probably get 3-4 years out of if before replacing the center.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have shot morrel's and "The Block" targets and both seem to only last us around 2 years max(less with heavy broadhead use). A local archery club here has a few blob targets that receive relentless arrows and are still going strong after 3 years. They have the giant irregular shaped ones that weigh nearly 200lbs though. When we go to buy our next here in a month or so, it will be a blob.

Here is their website : http://www.blobtargets.com/

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I know a few guys who use the Dollar General copy of Armor All tire shine. Arrows come right out.

I just use the cheepy targets and replace them as needed.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
We have shot morrel's and "The Block" targets and both seem to only last us around 2 years max(less with heavy broadhead use). A local archery club here has a few blob targets that receive relentless arrows and are still going strong after 3 years. They have the giant irregular shaped ones that weigh nearly 200lbs though. When we go to buy our next here in a month or so, it will be a blob.

Here is their website : http://www.blobtargets.com/
how bout a pic of this blob...:biggrin:

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i'm reminded of how much noise an arrow makes in flight when i see these shooting videos...:biggrin:from what i see they look a lot like the same material mackenzie uses...:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts