Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
GM, Lance, Cream and the rest of the gang- I'm going to start making my own leaders again because I want to start tweaking leaders more while I'm fishing (not just adding longer tippets to knotless leaders). We've all seen the stuff in books etc, so I'm going back old-school. I don't mind knotless leaders, but I've got some Maxima laying around....

Anyone else DIY? What brands?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
GM, Lance, Cream and the rest of the gang- I'm going to start making my own leaders again because I want to start tweaking leaders more while I'm fishing (not just adding longer tippets to knotless leaders). We've all seen the stuff in books etc, so I'm going back old-school. I don't mind knotless leaders, but I've got some Maxima laying around....

Anyone else DIY? What brands?
I'll be interested in this answer as well. I've finally got my blood knot tying down to where I can do a pretty good knot reliably. I'd like to start doing some of my own too. I like knoted leaders by the way. They provide a nice stop for the split shot. For now I buy them off ebay and they are very affordable. (relative to knotless) I definitely want to put together a few leaders for salt water this spring. I'm also looking forward to some dry fly action and more technical fishing so having a matching leader seems more important.

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
I actually use knotless tapered leaders for most of my fishing. The one instance where I don't is on my 9wt for throwing the big poppers and streamers for bass. I will typically run about 5' of 25lb mono blood knotted to 18" of 12lb fluoro tippet on that rod.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
I'm a little on the lazy side myself and Usually use knotless leaders and then just add tippet. Sometimes I may add two sections but more often than not I just don't go to the trouble. I've had some decent hand tied leaders in the past but I just never fell in love with them enough to go that route. The handful of times I've messed with it I've used Orvis leader material. I won't even consider trying it with fluorocarbon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I might be a little late for a response but my favorite leader material is Maxima Leader material from about 50 to 20 pound depending on what I am fishing for or how I am fishing. Hope it helps.

Also I am currently looking for a product that is no longer being made from Gudebrod, Shag yarn in medium olive. Anybody who has seen this please let me know would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I've looked around a lot, and i've got 4 spools of maxima but only up to 8lb (.010). Can't find any heavier maxima for the middle and butt sections. Only place I've seen leader tie kits was ebay. There was Umpqua and frog hair- nothing else. May have to go to fly shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts