Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to bow hunting and Im just wondering what everyone likes to hunt over?

food plots,,,,,edges of crop fields,,,,near bedding areas,,,,,,travel routes,,,,,pinch points,,,,,,,scrapes or rubs.

Im just thinking about where to put my stands for 2012 and like I said Im currious to hear what other folks like to hunt over. I realize things change with the season(early, rut and late).

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i must admit i hunt travel routes a lot especially in the wnf...i do like to see fresh rubs and scrapes on the trail i'm watching and i do like to see a lot of doe...with this combo even in the big woods where food is everywhere and deer seem to bed wherever they please,doe groups do seem to bed in same general area...its what i'm used to...now if i'm hunting a freinds or relatives land i tend to hunt close to large open fields but about 25-50 yds.from the field edge on a trail from bed to field...again rubs and scrapes help a lot...also its much easier here to locate individual bucks(their beds) and they tend to stick to certain trails if not disturbed and doe groups are easier to locate too than it is in a large place thats super thick like the wnf...either way when hunting deer in a complete natural environment is as tough as it gets...also on the ground scouting is very important,the better you learn an area the more deer you will be seeing and you know where to go...and more places to go...in the type situations i'm in now on the wnf its nearly impossible to pinpoint a givin spot deer will be feeding but beds are easier to pinpoint with some consistancy...and its a lot of fun trying to figure it all out...:D

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
They are predicting record corn acreage being planted. should be easy to get a dump truck load for every tree stand.

of course, the deer will just take up permanent occupancy in the corn fields.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
They are predicting record corn acreage being planted. should be easy to get a dump truck load for every tree stand.

of course, the deer will just take up permanent occupancy in the corn fields.
leave that corn alone...it runs my chevy truck...:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts