Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to make a Turkey Skin Rug. I'm not 100% sure this will work but it's worth a try. To check out how it's done visit this link.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I plucked the first one and froze it...I plan to smoke it.

The second one I breasted out. I didn't do a very good job but those are also frozen. I plan to do those up in the near future.

I cut the tail fans and beards off of both and they are drying in the garage. I also removed the feet but the wife has said absolutely not to mounting those.

The rest of the bird went in the woods. And then, something decided to drag the second bird out of the woods and up by my house. The wife loved that smell.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Breast and thigh meat frozen in 4 packages waiting for stir-fry to come up on the menu this year. Last years Jake fan went into one of my decoys. This years fan and beard went on the wall. Turned out pretty good I think.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I took a bunch of pictures, had it weighed at the taxidermist, measured the beard & spurs, had the fantail/beard/feet mounted and ate the meat. :coolgleamA:

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I boned the breasts out. cut the legs and thighs individual to fry later. My big bird ill mount the fan with a beard bar and spur rack. the other beard will go on the rack with a dozen or so others. The second birds fan and wings from both birds go to a navaho friend of mine who will make me half a dozen arrows in exchange for them. The heads Ill save and probably give to another taxi for extras. (i dont mount turkeys) The remaining carcass' and guts get buried deep in my garden. I like using every single bit.

and

For $24 bucks a bird ya don't waste anything!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts