Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what arrow weight people are shooting.

I am shooting a fast bow (Bow tech 340) so do I want to shoot tooth picks or 2x4's..

I was shooting an arrow around the 380 range last year..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I shoot a G5 XPB, slingin GT Pro Hunters, 7595.

I dont know the exact weight tho Wildman. They hit like a ton o bricks though!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go to the GT web site and build an arrow I put all my spec's in. That is how I get the weight. my GPI on last years arrow is 8.2 on a 28 inch arrow. I think I am going to bump up to 9. something.... It just stinks because I shoot 3-D so I have to re site in everything...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I shoot a G5 XPB, slingin GT Pro Hunters, 7595.

I dont know the exact weight tho Wildman. They hit like a ton o bricks though!

Your around 400grains if i remember right...I think that is what my program showed

2x4 or tooth pics?You mean weight or diameter wildman?It really depends on to many factors and what you want..What heads you wanna shoot etc etc..You have to give to get either way..

I shoot lighter arrows,which I may regret someday or not...As JB says,,OMO you think about it to much

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Weight and speed not size...

I have a speed bow so would I want a lighter arrow so it will fly fast like a toothpick or a little slower but will hit like a 2x4.. Which extream do I want. or a happy middle?

I am shooting Shwackers this year..I think....

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Weight and speed not size...

I have a speed bow so would I want a lighter arrow so it will fly fast like a toothpick or a little slower but will hit like a 2x4.. Which extream do I want. or a happy middle?
Gotcha...Whats your ,LBs and draw length?Lots of options out there thats for sure...

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I am shooting a Bow tech Destroyer 340 at 63 LB's 27inch draw with an Apache drop-away Octane stab. Fuse 5 pin sites. I am using Shwackers.. maybe something else like a fixed head. Not Muzzy.

I have pro altra lights they are I think 8.4GPI. But again I just don't know what to use. I lost a bruiser last year shooting straight down with a muzzy. No pass though...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I was waiting on you to chime in Nick! It was only a matter of time until you did.

Wildman...OMO is your man for the job.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NO!

I was very dissapointed... It totaly sucked... we looked for 3 day's. I should of got my dog off the get-go. He wasn't huge but he was in the upper 140's to mid 150's. He was on my hit list and he came in on a string a little to much on a string. He came straight to my tree..LOL

If I went with the ultra light's it would put me at 376 total arrow weight..

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I am shooting a Bow tech Destroyer 340 at 63 LB's 27inch draw with an Apache drop-away Octane stab. Fuse 5 pin sites. I am using Shwackers.. maybe something else like a fixed head. Not Muzzy.

I have pro altra lights they are I think 8.4GPI. But again I just don't know that to use. I lost a bruiser last year shooting straight down with a muzzy. No pass though...
Did ya get the deer?...I cant help tell ya what should fly good for your bow..But im pretty crappy at killing deer(good at missing)..So for broadhead arrow combo..I kinda go of common sense..Also you have to factor in your max range you would shoot at a deer..Lots to think about...
I was waiting on you to chime in Nick! It was only a matter of time until you did.

Wildman...OMO is your man for the job.

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
NO!

I was very dissapointed... It totaly sucked... we looked for 3 day's. I should of got my dog off the get-go. He wasn't huge but he was in the upper 140's to mid 150's. He was on my hit list and he came in on a string a little to much on a string. He came straight to my tree..LOL

If I went with the ultra light's it would put me at 376 total arrow weight..
Did you find the arrow?Was the head intact? 376grn is about middle of the road for your rig IMO..Which I think is fine,..

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No never found the arrow.. Whan he ran off it was sticking out 10inch's to a ft. It rained 5min's later and then again 5 hr's. but I was still able to track him until he got to the power lines that were just cleared. That is when I lost him..

I am not planning on shooting over 50yd's... The conditions would have to be perfect..(I put them in a dip can at that yd-age) But I would say that 98 % of my shoots will be 35 or less..

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Well I sure as hell would want a heavy arrow with them swackers...But I cant speak from experience with them...

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Is there a right answer? What are the adv. of light? or heavy..

I have a buddy that shot a buck at 60 yd's(I wouldn't have shoot at it) that blow though the ribs and busted though it's neck last year... He is shooting an Omen at 60lb's 28 inch draw.. with shwackers.

But I will take your advice... If you say heavy, heavy it is.. what is considered heavy 430

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
140-150s is a good deer in my book. I lost my biggest to date last year, just makes you sick man. I looked for days too.

I like a solid arrow that packs a punch. Im super happy with mine, I shoot a couple different heads, happiest with the Redhead Blackouts...the smaller fixed blade. For target, I shoot Blazers, for hunting, I like 4 inch feathers. I would use feathers all the time, but they arent durable enough for the constant shooting at the range.

I looked at the CXpress Pile Drivers, but in the end, I feel I made a good choice. I shoot the Easton Axis out of the Mathews I have, happy with those too. They are fairly slim and fly like a laser.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Are you looking for speed? Penetration?

What type of performance do you hope to get? Preference in vanes? What type of nock you want to shoot?

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The standard GT knock's Vanes I really don't care. as for preformance. But spped is good.. I want to be able to bust though a shoulder if I make a bad shot. That is what makes me think twice about shwackers..

Your black outs are they the fixed ones????

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
i've got this one arrow...weighs only 2 grns...with a 1 grn.broadhead this set up is very fast out of my recurve...real speed demon...i use 5"feathers...orange...self nock is non pinch design...:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i've got this one arrow...weighs only 2 grns...with a 1 grn.broadhead this set up is very fast out of my recurve...real speed demon...i use 5"feathers...orange...self nock is non pinch design...:biggrin:
Productive post as usual ****:nono:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts