Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been able to get out all week. Plan on getting out Saturday morning. Was just wandering what the birds are doing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's tough, you better try to get in their way! Don't expect to much gobbling! It's about over! I've been out all week! You can still do it, but your gonna have to be awfully good or lucky! The Jakes are back together, they aren't talking and the big birds, well they are big for a reason!

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Super Moderator
1,408 Posts
i was out this morning and had a nice tom gobbling his head off about 60 yds from me, but he wouldn't come in, he is the first bird I have heard gobbling in a week or so

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think we're turning the corner. The hens are mostly done with the toms and we should have a bit more action before the closer. Stick with it and make it happen! I'm gonna burn it up this last week.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Can't speak for Ohio as I finished hunting there the first week, but I'm hunting at home just over the Border in PA.

I work nights so don't get in the woods till 8:00 or so and we have to quit a noon. No birds at all gobbling on their own, as a matter of fact haven't hit a bird gobbling on his own late morning yet. Which I find strange and hear less of every year as I always run into hot birds late mornings years ago, it seems like a thing from the past?

Although the birds are very tough right now I was able to get birds going late morning right before noon on Monday and had to leave them. Wed. went to another area and got birds going around 9:45, and had two long beards come in, one went home with me. Good oppurtunity now to get a good one if you can make them give up their location, as this bird had
1 5/16in. spurs.

But that's the difficult thing, to get them going as they don't seem very excited. Both scenarios I just described resulted with them gobbling under their breath. You'd have to be within 70 yards or so to hear it, as I've run into this a few times now this Season. For some reason they are gobbling very quiet at times as a recent thread talked about.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well had one gobbling at sunrise and shortly after fly down...called in 5 jakes in agroup at 8:00 and missed....Had to quit around 8:30 due to a kitchen drain backed up at the house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts