Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
22,528 Posts
A few years ago, they reported elk crossed over to WV from Kentucky. At that time they were expecting that at some point, the herd may establish itself and grow in WV.

Looks like it's moving to that point-can't wait to put my name in that draw too!:thumbs_up::biggrin:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wish. Bring em on. I could handle elk in my back yard.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
A friend of mine's cousin in wv killed a elk that had crossed over from ky a couple years ago. He called the game warden to let him know and it was a hairy situation for a little bit. They swore he shot it in ky and brought it in to wv. He had to take them to the spot he shot it show them the blood trail and gut pile. They came to the conclusion since there is not elk season in wv that he could legally tag it with his deer tag.

·
22,528 Posts
A friend of mine's cousin in wv killed a elk that had crossed over from ky a couple years ago. He called the game warden to let him know and it was a hairy situation for a little bit. They swore he shot it in ky and brought it in to wv. He had to take them to the spot he shot it show them the blood trail and gut pile. They came to the conclusion since there is not elk season in wv that he could legally tag it with his deer tag.

Bull Elk or Cow?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few years ago there were a small herd spotted in Boone county. Dnr was all over it trying to make sure no one killed them. Bull and 4 cows. All the yahoos were itching to kill them I heard. Was on news for few wks.

·
22,528 Posts
I do not remember I will ask him tomorrow and find out what county it was.

Sounds good-

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If the elk are crossing and going into West Virginia any chance they might make their way into Ohio as well?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would say once establish in wv they will branch into Ohio. IMO. I don't want to see the deer ran out by the elk in the process.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I wouldnt think they would be, but im not an elk expert by far.

Would be cool if we had a herd, but I doubt most of Ohio's terrain could support them. Prolly start seeing them accidently shot on purpose like bears.

Wonder if we would have crop damage elk tags?

·
22,528 Posts
If the elk are crossing and going into West Virginia any chance they might make their way into Ohio as well?
It's not being ruled out. Keep in mind, PA has a large population of Elk and they have had one much longer. Ohio is surrounded with states that have existing herds, and I would bet somewhere in the futire Ohio may be able to carry a population of Elk. Some areas in Southern Ohio has the potential to have the habitat and carrying capacity needed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well I find it a bit funny. I was living down in Eastern Kentucky at the time the elk were introduced. Everyone swore no way that the elk could survive. Was arguments about food and people shooting them. I believe only like 1500 or so were introduced over a few years. Now I know it's estimated to be over 11,000. I still haven't seen them on our land down there .. Not yet but I am sure they are there. I just need to get down there more..

Biggest thing for me when I was living down there it was honestly like driving in a video game. The roads are some of the windiest you will ever find and Kentucky has some of the most dense deer populations anywhere. You know, you hit a deer and it sucks.. You hit an elk and you need a new car and are in a bodycast for a couple of months lol..

I saw the first vehicle to hit a deer down there. Guy heading to work about 4:30AM in a Saturn. Looked like he ran into a semi. Have any of you seen them down there or in WV yet? Just wandering around I mean not like actively hunting..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts