Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to roost some birds yesterday at a traditionally good turkey spot. shock gobbled a few times and got good response from where i expected it. everything was going great. the birds were off the property so i decided to shroom and shed hunt a little when all of the sudden i come upon a freshly dumped corn pile. Now, i know everyone who hunts this property so i started making calls and sure enough a freind of mine says "yeah i wanted to get some trail cam pics" i told him we have know birds are the for years so its pointless. then i explained the law about baiting turkeys is strictly enforced...11 days before season he had better be out the vacuuming corn out of the grass! i think to be on the safe side i just wont hunt that property this year. i dont understand why people bait turkeys prior to season. now i just want to strangle him! ahhhhhhh!
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Id clean it up myslef but i have enough places to hunt. this was kind of a midday spot. coonie i warned him if they dont get it cleaned up ill tell the landowner not to let them hunt there. if he wanted to feed turkeys and get pics december and january were the time to do that. i am glad i walked up on it because i wouldve hunted there this year and i know the old gw checked the area occasionaly. dunno bout the new one but ida been ticked if i got busted for hunting over bait i didnt put out!
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a real good move by your buddie...but
I'd be willing to bet the turks, birds, squirrels and deer will have that pile all but gone in a couple days.
I sure hope so. Im probably gonna call the gw and ask what "gone" means. I mean during deer season if i drop a bag of corn, the deer turks and squirrels might eat 50lbs in 2 days but there is still powder, shells, etc around the bait site. Not sure how picky the gw's will be (which is another reason NOT to bait turkeys) so even if we do clean it up, what if we miss a couple kernels? It ain't worth losing my truck and guns!

·
5,166 Posts
Gone means all gone, If they find one kernel you are hunting over bait. And it doesn't matter who put it there. I shot a gobbler several years ago, I always open their crawl to see what they've been eating, he was full of corn, never did find out where the corn was.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Had a friend of mine in FL get busted over the powder and hulls even after 4 weeks. Since it was his first offense, the fine wasn't bad, but it sure made us all sore. The GW was even there opening morning, at 7:30am. A great time to walk through hunters set ups and bust any chance of an opening morning bird. Funny part is, the birds actually lived on a golf course, and only spent a short amount of time on the private land we hunted. The only reason we baited at all was to adjust their patterns before season to spend a bit more time on the right side of the fence. Now days, you can actually hunt down there with bait, but you have to be 100 yrds or more from it. I think its kinda interesting the differences in regs from state to state, and how they are interperated by individual GWs and how they morph over time.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Spreading corn lightly in open fields leading up to opening week is a common trick used by many outfitters in the midwest even though it is illegal. Turkeys are pretty easy to call to if you know where they want to go. I am sure your friends corn will be gone by opening day. I just wouldn't hunt within a 100 yds of it. My neighbors. Run feeders all yr long on there property. As they don't turkey hunt. I usually call in a few comming from there property. And all turkeys I kill almost always have corn in them.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Gone means all gone, If they find one kernel you are hunting over bait. And it doesn't matter who put it there. I shot a gobbler several years ago, I always open their crawl to see what they've been eating, he was full of corn, never did find out where the corn was.
It was probably on my neighbors. LOL! Just kidding. But I'm kind of laughing because my neighbor just finished harvesting last year's corn crop last week. I kid you not. Because it had been in the field for so long there are downed stalks with ears on them that the combine could not get. My neighbor told me I could walk out to the field and pick up as much corn as I wanted for my chickens. The turkeys love this field.

Sent from my Ally

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I've even see the GW check their craw. They tried to bust a guy cause it had corn in it, but I know for a fact it wasn't shot anywhere near a bait pile, he uses a tied hen.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
120 Posts
The law states you cannot hunt turkeys with the aide of bait. Just because you bait for pictures does not mean you have to hunt over that pile. That would be like saying that a man cannot hunt turkeys anywhere on his property if he had a corn feeder he kept filled year round for picture/observation. If you are not hunting over it or within your gun range, or knowingly hunting the travel routes these birds typically take to it you are perfectly legal. To not hunt a peace of land just because it has a bait pile somewhere on it is a little bit overboard. Remember its all how u articulate.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Isn't it illegal to hunt a corn field??? :D[/QU No its not illegal to hunt a cornfield. If the corn was grown and harvested for farming purposes then it is perfectly legal. Waste grain left by a combine is not comsidered baiting.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0

·
Registered
186 Posts
Isn't it illegal to hunt a corn field??? :D[/QU No its not illegal to hunt a cornfield. If the corn was grown and harvested for farming purposes then it is perfectly legal. Waste grain left by a combine is not comsidered baiting.
sam-r261 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0
I beleive the ":biggrin:" meant it was a joke.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.