Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this lease on land and farm the other day. $900 for a WEEKLY LEASE! I thought at first this was for the entire hunting season....but a week? Come on.....This guy has another 120 acre lease for gun season only for $1,000. Seems ridiculous. Paying that much money to only access a property for a week.

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/Hunting_Lease-530401/

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
it is ridiculous, but atleast he is trying to make money a more honest way then stealing! I bet he gets someone to by into it too hahah!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I went to the link and sure enough 9 bills. It also says for two or three hunters? Does he mean 2 or 3 at 900 each or split? Way over the top for sure. I have seen "outfitters" charging a lot more than that for a "self guided hunt". What ever that means. Maybe drive you out to a stand and drop you off? Ohio has way to much good public land to pay anything to hunt. I went to Shawnee for a week of bow hunting and four days of muzzy, (late season) season and had the place to myself. I didn't see another hunter in the woods while I was there.

RGJZ06

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
If people are stupid enough to pay it, then good for him. He has the right to be just as crazy as the idiot that will pay it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lease

At first that does sound like alot, but when you stop and really look at it, is it really? Depending on the set up. If you buy your own property to hunt, what is the cost.

100 Ac. @ $2K per ac.

then you pay taxes every year $2-3,000, plant food plots, manage for the wildlife another $1,000.

This does not include all of the time you put in that takes you away from actually hunting.

If the property is managed for hunting, this is much cheaper than doing it yourself or with a group, believe me I know from experience.

I have my own place. Just spent 3 days last week cleaning up after the storms and not even a dent yet and still no electric.

But it is great to have it and get to enjoy it. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Really.. Now lets look at the fact that the price of land just keeps going up. So it sounds like a good investment. The more money and time you put in it the more it is worth. Pluse you can leave it for your kids and grandkids so they don't have to pay a weekly lease. I would rather pay alot more for something I own than pay $900 a week . I could be proud of the work I have done , buy into all this pay to play BS.

·
7,173 Posts
$900 trespass fees seems steep to me, but you can have 3 guys hunt it. $300 per person for a group of buddies from out of state for a week isn't outrageous. Especially if you can park a camper there.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Really.. Now lets look at the fact that the price of land just keeps going up. So it sounds like a good investment. The more money and time you put in it the more it is worth. Pluse you can leave it for your kids and grandkids so they don't have to pay a weekly lease. I would rather pay alot more for something I own than pay $900 a week . I could be proud of the work I have done , buy into all this pay to play BS.
Yuuuuup!

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Heh heh heh...its only going to go up and no matter where you go for private land ...pay for it...we can thank our hunter movers and shakers for all this ...:D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes. The guys that are looking to make a few bucks from their investment, to (slightly) lessen the financial burden of ownership, are the source of all evil.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At first that does sound like alot, but when you stop and really look at it, is it really? Depending on the set up. If you buy your own property to hunt, what is the cost.

100 Ac. @ $2K per ac.

then you pay taxes every year $2-3,000, plant food plots, manage for the wildlife another $1,000.

This does not include all of the time you put in that takes you away from actually hunting.

If the property is managed for hunting, this is much cheaper than doing it yourself or with a group, believe me I know from experience.

I have my own place. Just spent 3 days last week cleaning up after the storms and not even a dent yet and still no electric.

But it is great to have it and get to enjoy it. Just my thoughts.
I don't know where your property is located at, but I don't pay anywhere near $2,000 a year in taxes. My taxes each year on 100+ acres is less than $1,000 (no buildings).

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny you say land is going up.........we bought 16 acres three years ago that adjoined our other acreage for just under $2,000 an acre. I found a similar property in the same county, 16 acres and their asking price is $47,000. Obviously they will take less than 47,000, but even if it sells for 40,000 that's a decent investment and the taxes on that 16 acre tract is only $100 a year.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
one of the the land tracks I hunt is 42 acres. My buddy bought it in 91 for 27,000 he just turned down 189,000 for it. This is in farm land so people are paying $4500 a acre and up.
As Sam said, if you are from out of state and you can park a camper on it. And split the cost with two friends then it may be worth it. I would hope to have running water , electric and alot of land set up for deer hunting for that price.

·
Registered
477 Posts
$6,000-$10,000 an acre where I'm from for farm ground. $900 seems good to me if I wanted to lease. Some people don't have extra time to hunt and might only want to hunt the week of shotgun. I personally wouldn't want an extended lease either.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just looked at it after I posted...it doesn't even look like it has much woods on the property. Unless I looked at it wrong, that can't be much of a deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts