Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

Weapon carry

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  TimSr 
#1 ·
I've tried doing research and haven't seen exactly what I'm searching for.

Is it legal to carry a rifle and a pistol for hunting?

I'm mainly a squirrel hunter and my weapon of choice is a .22 rifle but was wondering if I could also carry a .22 revolver for a closer shot or for those squirrels that didnt get direct hit with the first shot?

#5 ·
also cant conceal the handgun and if you have a ccw regardless of it being used for hunting you cannot shoot an animal with it so I would be on the safe side and just use a 22lr rifle or shotgun so you don't get into a mess trying to explain it wasn't a ccw gun you just shot something with.

#10 ·
I went round and round on this, and even got conflicting answers with game wardens in different counties when the question was about turkey hunting. ( I was going to hunt turkeys in an area where I also hunted hogs). Kind of dumb, as you can hunt either at the time, and both weapons are legal but not both at the same time.

Anyways, I eventually came to the conclusion that you did. I always open carry a pistol while hunting to cover what my long gun does not, especially when hunting with a shotgun. The .22 pistol is nice when those squirrles are close or need a finishing shot, or more often I carry the .357 in case a groundhog or coyote makes it's presence known.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.