Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
:cool: Hi everyone. My husband and i are new to this site. We're both into hunting and fishing. But haven't gone in several years. I'm howeer, orignally from the state of Oregon. My husband and i are looking for places around the NW area of Ohio to go fishing. That are great but not necessarily a rec area for alot of folks.
[/COLOR]
We're also looking for good areas to fish that have Talipa, Walleye and especially Trout - as the last one is my favorite. Thanks for having us here and any advice as too some great fishing areas would be most greatful!

Dave n Patty :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Welcome to the site. Can't help much with fishing.

RGJZ06. :Welcome:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If your up to a small road trip there is the mad river for some small browns. But if you want big trout. This fall head over to the east side of Ohio for steelhead. But walleye the river that cut throw toledo is great. But I'm in south east Ohio so I have to drive a ways for good trout fishing.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
679 Posts
Dave and Patty,

Welcome to Ohio. I lived in Oregon (LaPine/Bend area) for a brief period and fell in love with it; especially the fishing. I know there are some good steelhead in NE Ohio, but someone else on here can probably help you with that better than I can. If you are looking for trout (and an environment/experience more like Oregon) you're probably going to need to head North (MI) or East (PA, MD). Deep Creek Lake (Western MD) is about 3.5-4hrs. from Cleveland. There are a few rivers within about 30 minutes of the lake that have some good trout fishing. Felt like I was back in Oregon for a moment. There are a couple rivers around Elkins WV (also 3-4 hrs from Cleveland) that have trout and an Oregon like feel. The State DNR websites show rivers with trout, stocking dates, etc. Good luck!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
22,528 Posts
:Welcome:

This site will help with Walleye fishing and fishing reports here in ohio. Lake Erie is known for some great walleye fishing, along with good smallmouth and Perch fishing.

http://www.walleye.com/fishingreports.htm

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
:Welcome:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! We got some great information. BYNE - thanks also. Although, hubby is a native to OH. It has been a considerable change for me over the past 7yrs. I'm from the Coos Bay, area up through the valley. Oregon is gorgeous and the fishing of all types is awesome. I miss the Salmon fishing as well. So hoping to find a few areas to take advantage of that at also. Thansk again everyone. Any other great places to go fishing without alot of families would be great. Lakes where u can camp out also would be awesome. Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
THEY STOCK TIMBER RIDGE LAKE in LAWRENCE COUNTY EVERY YEAR WITH TROUT ITS 36 FEET DEEP WITH COLD WATER.I WILL BE TRYING IT AS SOON AS I GET MY BOAT GOING. YOU CAN USE A TROLLING MOTOR THERE. IF YOU TRY IT LET US KNOW IF YOU CAUGHT ANY.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts