Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have emailed the ODNR a couple of times on this and have not been able to get a response, so maybe somebody here knows....

I would like to know if it is legal to capture common water snakes in order to harvest their skins for various primitive projects (I would eat them as well -- I don't want to waste anything). As I understand it, you can catch and keep them in captivity if you purchase a propagation permit/license, but I do not intend to keep them in captivity.

Does anybody here know if this is something that I am able to do, or do I need to find an alternative supply of snake skins?

-Curt-

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I think its legal to catch and kill them. There aint no law against it. Ive done it for the meat

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
As much as I like snakes....
I'd reckon they'd want you to get a permit, but if you're under 16 you don't need one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Lake Erie water snakes are considered endagered. Just make sure what ur catchin. Don't know where ur located but figured id throw it out there.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
They removed the Erie snakes out of tje Endangered category.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not after the Lake Erie snakes.... just the common watersnakes that are all over the place. Still haven't been able to get an answer from the ODNR.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'm not after the Lake Erie snakes.... just the common watersnakes that are all over the place. Still haven't been able to get an answer from the ODNR.
Imagine that.
Call and ask for Ron Ollis, he'll give you an answer, but you may not like it.
Sometimes it best to ask for forgiveness than permission.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
ask for forgiveness and get a fine...:biggrin:its youre responsibility to know...i'd think its on the internet somewhere...keep pestering the odnr...i've seen a lot drown in minnow traps over the yrs.and theyre just thrown up on the bank...most of the home owners there(in athens)are happy the snakes are being kilt...in that area they are over populated...:D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
ask for forgiveness and get a fine...:biggrin:its youre responsibility to know...i'd think its on the internet somewhere...keep pestering the odnr...i've seen a lot drown in minnow traps over the yrs.and theyre just thrown up on the bank...most of the home owners there(in athens)are happy the snakes are being kilt...in that area they are over populated...:D
Fined for what? It's not against the law if they're not protected. I knew thst, just didn't want to say it.
If its our responsibility to know shouldn't the fkn ODNR know when you call them? Maybe better wasn't the right word; how bout easier?
There's been many times I've called Columbus only to get different answers depending on who I talked to. Just like you cutting live trees on NF property. They told you it was cool, but it was actually against the law. You're no saint, but you play one well, it just get tiring.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
Fined for what? It's not against the law if they're not protected. I knew thst, just didn't want to say it.
If its our responsibility to know shouldn't the fkn ODNR know when you call them? Maybe better wasn't the right word; how bout easier?
There's been many times I've called Columbus only to get different answers depending on who I talked to. Just like you cutting live trees on NF property. They told you it was cool, but it was actually against the law. You're no saint, but you play one well, it just get tiring.

man you really got me there...:coco:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is some info. I tried to understand it but I am 11 hours into a 12 hour night so I am pretty useless right now.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=15493
I have already gone through that page, which is part of what prompted the original post.... the propagating license appears to only pertain to LIVE animals to be kept in captivity. I do not intend to keep them alive and in captivity. I can't find any documentation on the ODNR website or in the Ohio Revised Code that says anything about the harvest of these reptiles.... only on keeping them as pets or for breeding, in which case a propagating license is required.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts