Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my water pump on my outboard. It's been about 3 years since I last had it serviced and she was a little sluggish peeing the other day and I know it probably should have been changed last season. Anyway, the repair doesn't look difficult so I plan to try it myself however I don't know what part to buy.

I went to crowley marines website and selected my motor and went through their parts guide and I came up with a few different things

4696148Q8 - This appears to be the whole kit

4789984T3 - This appears to be impeller only

My boat has a 2002 Mercury V6 150HP XR6.

My question is, number one, should I just get the impeller or do the whole kit?
My second question, Is this the right part number? I punched it into Ebay and everybody that has these part numbers has the note: "Fits Mercury/Mariner 65 hp (4 cylinder) through V-6 outboards with short-vane impellers and fits MerCruiser I/R/MR/Alpha drives (s/n 2495186-0D469858)."

Does that mean it only fits a 65HP or that it fits their 65HP 4 cylinder and ALL their V6 outboards. I'm confused.

Any help appreciated. I would cry if I jacked up my lower unit

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry I can't help but the last time I went to work on my motor I took a $150 impellar job and turned it into a $450 job when I broke my skeg. I also lost a month of use when I did that and now I just take it to a marine mechanic if something is wrong.

Good Luck

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I got her done for less than $40. Well see what happens when I'm 15 miles out and murphy's law kicks in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts