Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Wildlife Habitat
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 things you can do to attract and produce more turkeys are treating non-native invasives and cutting over stocked trees. Treat invasives first then cut. Know what your cutting and when to use herbicide. Hen turkeys are insanely attracted to tree tops for nesting. The Tom’s won’t be far. I shifted a whole group of hens nesting location from a hayfield that was being cut nest and all to an adjoining timber stand with the above practices. Since cutting in the timber there’s been zero nest found in the hayfield and 4-6 hens in the timber management unit 2 years in a row. This video we made shows a practice called edge feathering which focuses on the transition area between timber and field edges. It makes for ideal nesting and brood rearing habitat.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I'm looking forward to watching these videos. We applied for an EQIP grant and should have a forester out sometime later this year. We talked a lot about edge feathering when the private land biologist came out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Good videos!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Larry, it looks like your turkey was right at the edge of your effective range! Must admit, I don't see many turkey hunting videos that end in sawing down a bunch of trees and setting the woods on fire. Congrats on your turkey. See you in late July.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts