Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have had a hankering for some Mexican food for about a week now so, when I saw an enchilada recipe on FB, I made some changes to it to make it my own & decided it would make a good Saturday night supper.

I used my hand grounder to turn 1 pound of tenderloin in ground venison & browned it in EVOO. I also used a fiesta blend of cheese consisting of Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Asadero, & Queso Quesadilla Cheeses.

I added green onions to the venison mix & topped all of the enchiladas with diced tomatoes as well as the rest of the cheese before baking. After plating the enchiladas, I added sour cream.

I picked a few asparagus stalks as a side & added tortilla Chips. A glass of Lambrusco is a requirement.

Everything turned out real well. I used mild chilis & sauce but still worked up a sweat, the sign of a good meal.

Venison Enchilada

Ingredient List

• 1 lb lean ground venison
  • 2 cans (10 oz each) Old El Paso™ enchilada sauce
  • 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
  • 1 package (8.2 oz) Old El Paso™ flour tortillas for soft tacos & fajitas (6 inch)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
  • Make it FRESH toppings, as desired
Ideas for make it FRESH toppings: diced tomatoes, green onions, diced avocado, sour cream, fresh cilantro leaves (if you like a soapy taste),.

Try green enchilada sauce for a new twist!

Preparation
  1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish or pan with cooking spray.
  2. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook venison over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce and the chiles.
  3. Spread 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce evenly in baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup beef mixture down center of each tortilla; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese. Wrap tortillas tightly around filling, placing seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

006.jpg

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
That looks so delicious and easy! I may need to try this some time.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks so delicious and easy! I may need to try this some time.
It was good. Next time I think I'll go up a size in the tortillas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts