Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
23,013 Posts
His pasture fence includes two acres of my ground. The survey completed a few months back makes this glaringly obvious. While we have only had one chat, and some friendly texting- I would’ve expected this to come up.

There is a deep ravine leaving his acerage/pasture/woods that heads on mine. Rather than cross the gully he ran the fence up around it on mine.

From an aerial perspective he put a small notch in what’s supposed to be a rectangle. It’s a civil and firm conversation to be had asap.
Like thornton mentioned, you need to address the encroachment of his fence on your property. Attorney is the way to go here on that issue. You have cell cams that monitor the property and that is good. Use them to your advantage in areas of concern.

I would get to know your "other" neighbors and see if any will be good neighbors. Like others have stated, they can be a great help and having good relationships with neighbors will help you in many ways. I wouldn't post the property for now. I would sit back and see how things unfold with your current neighbor and see what else is going on, on your property and around it using the cell cams. You will have better information and a better understanding on how to deal with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This isn’t as much about the law as it is the perception/opinion but would love some local insight.

Basically I bought a piece of property in athens co, which I hope to build into a deer hunting hot spot. The location is near homes and the previous owner passed away a few years back and some of the locals have spent time riding horses and hunting it. There are even some very blatant fence line (as in acres) oversteps. In the 5 min we spoke he was already asking about swapping help for horse access but also has been on there recently and has a feeder & blind 10ft off the line. Seems like he could be a Richard and act like he owns the town.

While I’d like to get along with everyone- I’m a firm believer in “mine is mine and your’s is your’s”, “good fences make great neighbors”, etc. The plan is to vacation there a few times a year and move there in 4-5 yrs.

My plan was to post it, as that’s what you have to do in NY and want the message clear. I asked on another forum what kind of fasteners to use (to minimize tree damage) and got a response along the lines of “Posted signs aren’t needed and bring more negative attention”. I was shocked by that and this is what I would like an opinion on from some Ohio natives.

i have trail cams all over, some are cell, most are too high to reach from the ground. My access/parking is not covert.

Would love to hear your thoughts, input and suggestions.
As a Southern Ohio small timber farm owner and working with the Ohio Division of forestry for my forestry management plan and for the forestry Agricultural tax break (Lowest land tax use in the state), my plan covered posting private property signs as well as timber farm signs. As a retired police officer in the state of Ohio, I also know if your property is not posted private/no trespassing you will not get a deputy or state game warden to enforce any trespassing laws on your property. So, post it, and using the Ohio Division of Forestry person to draw you up a timber and wildlife plan DOES NOT give the public access to your property for any reason(s). But there will be a section in the plan that you take to the county Auditor's office to file so the following year you will fall into the forestry tax bracket (Again the lowest tax bracket in the state, and you have a free timber and wildlife management plan to follow too) (Timber is not a yearly crop like corn or beans either, it all depends upon the age of your forest if you have to have a select cut if you so desire) (Must have at least 11 acres for the plan as well), and this costs you nothing to do other than the auditor's office filing fee.

I am in Jackson County two counties to the West of Athens County, but always willing to help a landowner if they ask me for what about the programs I use, and land issues.

Good Luck,
Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
This isn’t as much about the law as it is the perception/opinion but would love some local insight.

Basically I bought a piece of property in athens co, which I hope to build into a deer hunting hot spot. The location is near homes and the previous owner passed away a few years back and some of the locals have spent time riding horses and hunting it. There are even some very blatant fence line (as in acres) oversteps. In the 5 min we spoke he was already asking about swapping help for horse access but also has been on there recently and has a feeder & blind 10ft off the line. Seems like he could be a Richard and act like he owns the town.

While I’d like to get along with everyone- I’m a firm believer in “mine is mine and your’s is your’s”, “good fences make great neighbors”, etc. The plan is to vacation there a few times a year and move there in 4-5 yrs.

My plan was to post it, as that’s what you have to do in NY and want the message clear. I asked on another forum what kind of fasteners to use (to minimize tree damage) and got a response along the lines of “Posted signs aren’t needed and bring more negative attention”. I was shocked by that and this is what I would like an opinion on from some Ohio natives.

i have trail cams all over, some are cell, most are too high to reach from the ground. My access/parking is not covert.

Would love to hear your thoughts, input and suggestions.
In your situation time will tell about your relationship with your new neighbor. I would discuss your future plans with him and let him know there could be a time when you move down there, he may not be able to hunt anymore. In the meantime he could be a asset to you in keeping others off your property when your not around.There are slob poaching neighbors and respectful ones. Hopefully he is one of the respectful law abiding ones. If not, you will have to set the record straight from the beginning and do what it takes to keep him off. He has probably been hunting your newly acquired property for years and knows it better then you. Not knowing how many acres you purchased, you may not care if if retrieves a downed deer off of your property. God always said to love your neighbors and enemy, but you never forget their names!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in Meigs county, on the Athens county line. Retired here 3 years ago. I haven't caught anyone red-handed yet. I have found empty brass in a tree blind, a caliber that I don't own. I have found a fresh footprint behind a tree where somebody could spy on a neighbor. I've heard gunshots at night that were very close. Found remains of carcasses that had prime meat missing. And a friend who hunts my land had kept his tree stand up & it was stolen.

I have great neighbors, and obviously some horrible neighbors. We have signs up, some courtesy of the previous owner and some I added (adjacent land was previously in the same family). Putting up signs means that anyone on your land should have known they were trespassing which greatly simplifies any further legal action. Do something now to assert your right to the land being encroached upon. Take care of it as quickly as possible, it'll only get worse with time. If you knew about an encroachment & did nothing the other guy's attorney will argue that you consented to it. If they've used the land long enough and assert that they made improvements and/or maintained it then they can take legal possession.

I had an incident some time ago in the city. Neighbor's driveway was 3 feet over the line & a fence further. The ensuing ****-storm was hell - it ended with me getting my land back, neighbors hating me because I was harassing poor Ginny "who had nerves" (ie had a toddler's temper tantrum if she didn't get WTF she wanted), and threatened legal action against another neighbor who was spreading BS & maligning my character. Oh, and the "improvements" they claimed were the encroaching fence & driveway! It never went to court, in part due to other events that occurred. I was glad to get out of that neighborhood.

.Another reason to take care of it now is there'll be time until you permanently move, time for gossiping neighbors to move away or find others to malign.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Interestingly enough- he sent a Happy Thanksgiving text … that’s a nice gesture and frankly slipped through the armor a bit.

The Fence is a black and white issue. The use of the land outside of hunting(if that is the case) in payment with help and eyes is huge. The vast majority of you point out those characteristics/benefits as worth their weight in gold.Trust needs to be established, as do my wishes and ground rules be known/respected.

I guess my concern comes down to two main aspects related to my hunting goals- is his presence counteract my efforts and capabilities. I’ve been a firm believer of pristine access/egress with no more presence than specific tactical hunts. Will horses or whatever else he does be a conflict? And then if the layout is improved, food added and strategy employed- will he poach, sneak, change his layout to capitalize on or block my attempts ? This is a how a NY deer landowner victim thinks guys. ha!

Im thankful for all of the input and support folks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in Meigs county, on the Athens county line. Retired here 3 years ago. I haven't caught anyone red-handed yet. I have found empty brass in a tree blind, a caliber that I don't own. I have found a fresh footprint behind a tree where somebody could spy on a neighbor. I've heard gunshots at night that were very close. Found remains of carcasses that had prime meat missing. And a friend who hunts my land had kept his tree stand up & it was stolen.
Wait and the Sheriff hasn't caught these individuals? These are obviously crimes. That is so crazy.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts