Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn’t as much about the law as it is the perception/opinion but would love some local insight.

Basically I bought a piece of property in athens co, which I hope to build into a deer hunting hot spot. The location is near homes and the previous owner passed away a few years back and some of the locals have spent time riding horses and hunting it. There are even some very blatant fence line (as in acres) oversteps. In the 5 min we spoke he was already asking about swapping help for horse access but also has been on there recently and has a feeder & blind 10ft off the line. Seems like he could be a Richard and act like he owns the town.

While I’d like to get along with everyone- I’m a firm believer in “mine is mine and your’s is your’s”, “good fences make great neighbors”, etc. The plan is to vacation there a few times a year and move there in 4-5 yrs.

My plan was to post it, as that’s what you have to do in NY and want the message clear. I asked on another forum what kind of fasteners to use (to minimize tree damage) and got a response along the lines of “Posted signs aren’t needed and bring more negative attention”. I was shocked by that and this is what I would like an opinion on from some Ohio natives.

i have trail cams all over, some are cell, most are too high to reach from the ground. My access/parking is not covert.

Would love to hear your thoughts, input and suggestions.

·
5,216 Posts
Couple things for starters:
Make sure where your property lines are. Fences often times may be off the actual property lines. At the very least walk it with Onx mapping or a similar mapping software, best way is a survey.
Once you determine the lines mark them with some sort of marking paint, you'll need that if you apply for timber tax or CAUV programs.
Get to know all the neighbors and let them know you hunt, right now they all probably just consider you an absentee landowner and the status quo remains in effect.
If you can get away without posting it don't. About the time you get through ripping someone a new one, a week later your monster buck is going to die 50 yards onto his property.
Remember compromise can work wonders. I allow neighbors to hike or ride horses on my property in the off season. They allow me to turkey hunt their ground and retrieve deer from their property.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great stuff Bawana.

What are timber tax and Cauvery credits?

The pasture mentioned is way over per a formal survey and onX.

My issues with the horse guy are-
The fence went way over as it was convenient with a ravine there. He hasn’t brought it up yet and the survey tape makes it obvious.
He hunts and is (at minimum) hunting the line already.
He has treated this as his own in many regards and didn’t get the “warm and fuzzy” feeling he was going to change overnight. I’m a good read of character and he will only be nice when he is making out- will get nasty the second reciprocation is asked or boundaries are established. I assuming all will go south with the fence discussion when we get there soon. Seems to have too many conflicts of interest(s) and nothing about this guy seems trustworthy.

While I would allow a non hunting neighbor some out of season use and privledge- it couldn’t be a deer conflict and they’d have to actually deal with trespasser encounters. Not seeing that- esp w the guy above. That being said- I totally understand where you’re coming from and “attracting more with honey than vinegar”.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I live 50 minutes from my property and I look at it differently. Good neighbors makes a more secure property. I've met everyone who borders me and we get a long very well and respect each others property lines. We all know if we need to track one just shoot a text. They watch mine and make sure people stay out because it benefits them.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Fence issues and their resolution require a survey and an attorney.

Neighbor issues require the above first and commonsense, second.

I would not allow illegal use of property to become an avenue to loss...ie old ROWs perhaps.

·
5,216 Posts
CAUV Current Agricultural Use Value, This includes forested ground, it is a reduction in your tax values, each county is different in how they administer it. Your local service forester is Cameron Bushong, [email protected]
740-274-4934.
He should be able to direct you to the right people to start making things happen in both CAUV or Timber Tax. There is a process you have to go through to make everything happen but cost wise very worthwhile.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
If had owned some land that I would hunt a few times per year, I would definitely give a neighbor hunting privileges in return for some physical help on upkeep plus being eyes and ears to keep trespassers off the property. I would make it clear I am just giving permission to the neighbor and not his/her clan of relatives and friends that don't live there. You could limit the number of deer. Such as "you can hunt here but I'm only giving you permission for one buck" or whatever the case may be. I see that as a win/win. And who the heck cares if he would happen to shoot a giant buck. Congratulations to the lucky hunter!

·
23,013 Posts
Explain in detail this part-

"There are even some very blatant fence line (as in acres) oversteps".

·
Registered
748 Posts
I’ve been an absentee land owner in Ohio since 2013 without much problem. I had one issue with one bordering landowner that basically told me to go get screwed.So a call to the local game warden fixed that problem and no problems with that neighbor since. The rest of my neighbors and I all exchange information on what we are seeing i have invites to hunt their property and I also extend the same invite. I have one neighbor I can call at anytime to get something done if needed he keeps an eye on my property he cuts my grass around my building and never asks for anything but I do pay him. And he has full run of my property to use and he hunts with me. I couldn’t me happier with the way things have worked out with my neighbors /FRIENDSHIPS I have made with them we are always there for one another. But I do know it doesn’t always work out that way. Feeling very lucky

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
His pasture fence includes two acres of my ground. The survey completed a few months back makes this glaringly obvious. While we have only had one chat, and some friendly texting- I would’ve expected this to come up.

There is a deep ravine leaving his acerage/pasture/woods that heads on mine. Rather than cross the gully he ran the fence up around it on mine.

From an aerial perspective he put a small notch in what’s supposed to be a rectangle. It’s a civil and firm conversation to be had asap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CAUV Current Agricultural Use Value, This includes forested ground, it is a reduction in your tax values, each county is different in how they administer it. Your local service forester is Cameron Bushong, [email protected]
740-274-4934.
He should be able to direct you to the right people to start making things happen in both CAUV or Timber Tax. There is a process you have to go through to make everything happen but cost wise very worthwhile.
You’re the best. Are you near Athens yourself?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
We had a similar situation with our neighbor here at our house. We bought a little over an acre at auction. The neighbor has 7 acres and was using this 1.1 acres as his own…even had a 4 wheeler track with jumps for the kids. He had a fire pit on it and his landscape extended on it. He dumped his unwanted yard debris and junk on it. We spoke with him and asked him not to be driving on the property and no dumping. It didn’t go over well. Before building, we had a survey done and all these “encroachments” were discovered. He actually PULLED our survey stakes between him and us. Uh, way to make it obvious 🙄 We called the sheriff. This dude had a screw loose and had already accosted us at the basketball fundraiser at school…real classy. We put up a nice board fence because fences do make good neighbors!! We have chickens and crazy dogs that bark at every squirrel. He thinks he can get back at us by leaning up pallets and parking his tractor where we can see it from our back deck. 😂😂
It sounds like your Richard could be a lot like my Richard!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
80 acres....sign every 50 feet or so = 100+...today's view of the countryside..

I would bother neither the game warden nor the sheriff in early days....I would pay for an attorney to cut short any back & forth, especially so if out-of-state.
However, everyone is different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the plan is not to poster the country side- will keep it minimal as a couple of the neighbors have and only go excessive for slow learners, cheaters, lazy folks…. they’re priced better jn quantity.

Im not sure what is meant by not contacting the Law Enforcement folks or the lawyer …. They sure are nice and claim to be eager with support. Surveys don’t leave anything in the air… so I must be missing something.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Im not sure what is meant by not contacting the Law Enforcement folks or the lawyer …. They sure are nice and claim to be eager with support. Surveys don’t leave anything in the air… so I must be missing something.
I said that I would contact an attorney...I said that I would not contact either law enforcement or game wardens, in early days of noticing potential problems with hunting acreage...or a home site.
Both of those folks, to me, require and best utilize legal evidence of wrongdoing and a failure by trespassers, etc. to abide by legal notifications.

If 2 acres are being used by a neighbor, I did not see you mention that an attorney had already taken steps to both notify and correct the neighbor.....notifying the neighbor yourself, given your own description, indicates that any such mention or any land survey would seem unlikely to solve the issue....ie Job#1.
Cart & Horse issue, to me.
As noted tho, folks are different so, good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts