Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this on Outdoor Life's website.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/weather/turkey

I'm trying to match it up with my own log book and I'll let you guys know what I find. So far it looks promising. I am a believer in moon phases and weather effecting behavior, so this looks very good. Has anyone tried to match it up? Does it work as advertised?

·
5,040 Posts
Sounds good, but I'd like to see the source of all their data.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I do not know if the turkeys are aware that they are supposed to be studying all of that stuff. I do know that if it is a nice, clear, still morning and a tom is sounding off at daybreak 150 yards from you, it should be a good day.

I also know that if early morning is real windy and rainy without it looking like it is going to let up any time soon, it probably will not be a good day.

I did not need a graph to tell me that nor did I see the well thought out graph until now.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be the first to admit you don't take a bird sitting around the house, least ways, not my house. I'm going to hunt when I'm going to hunt, which is every opprotunity I can make work. Some days, though, I have hard descions to make, like picking one day out two or three because of other commitments. Really I'm hoping some other folks will take notice and see if the graph matches up with reality so I can use it as an additional tool to help make those tough choices.

For instance, today was total bust. The graph indicated 43 out of 50 on the composite. Not a peep did I hear, but some of that you could chalk up to bad weather first off, and maybe breeding activity still underway. All the forecasts I looked at had the rain ending late last night, and I can assure you by my soaked gear and clothes that was not accurate. I'm also still seeing a lot of hens, meaning they aren't on nests just yet, which also means they are keeping the boys busy. Gobblers should pipe back up end of season, once the ladies leave em high and dry. Those two factors could have destroyed the value of the graph today I feel, as I did see some activity, just no gobbling. Since the graph cannot predict some variables perfectly, such as weather or breeding activity directly, but can only serve as general reference for when to expect increased activity or better chances of hearing birds, I'm willing to give it some lee way. In other words, one day is off, no biggie.

What I'm hoping is that tomrrow, a 47 out of 50 according to the graph, will be much better. Forecast is clear, and while we still have the hens to compete with, I don't think the weather is gonna catastrophically turn sour. Based on the graph, we should all be hearing birds tomorrow. Now, thats a safe assumption on any given spring morning, but I have also had perfect days early or late in the season when you could hear a pin drop. Maybe the moon phase and some of these other factors being tracked here could be the determining factors on those days. Those are the days I'm most concerned with. Any input would be appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts