Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I grabbed a few earlier in the spring before they went out of season. Im done with them now unless I come across a giant one or something crazy.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I grab them by their tail when im bowfishing or walk along shallow streams at first light and look for them.

Also, you can set lines. Nylon rope, steel leaders and heavy hooks, with stinky meat. Beef neck is good, the harder it is for them to get off the hook, the better.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I grab them by their tail when im bowfishing or walk along shallow streams at first light and look for them.

Also, you can set lines. Nylon rope, steel leaders and heavy hooks, with stinky meat. Beef neck is good, the harder it is for them to get off the hook, the better.

We are settin bank poles and trot lines for em.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jugs no need for all the money spent to get steel leaders and such. i milk jus mason line and standard #5 or 6 hook and go to IGA ask for there meat rimmings which is free. very affective and hardly any money involved. been doing this way for 18 20 years

·
Registered
173 Posts
any one feel for em ,reach under drifts and such in ditches and small streams,grab em by the tail and in the bag The only way to go

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I prefer my ten fingers. Catch enough as it is. Thats scary!

·
Registered
341 Posts
We noodle for them. Never know what you might get a hold of.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
old timers did that back in the 40s and 50s my gpa tells me they did it all the time they called it hogn lol
Yeah my grandpa will call me a puss* for not doin like he did. It aint that im afraid to do it, its just that over the years I have grown somewhat attached to all my fingers

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i prefer jugs because they just bounce it around and even if they get there claws into the mud the still cnt pop ur line cuz it just pulls the jug down were as using bank lines they can break ur line or straighten hooks. i go to our local IGA and ask for there trimmings in the meat department its free and works good. also chicken gizzards work good. i use 175lb breaking strength cat fish line used for setting bank lines for cats

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i prefer jugs because they just bounce it around and even if they get there claws into the mud the still cnt pop ur line cuz it just pulls the jug down were as using bank lines they can break ur line or straighten hooks. i go to our local IGA and ask for there trimmings in the meat department its free and works good. also chicken gizzards work good. i use 175lb breaking strength cat fish line used for setting bank lines for cats
How many feet of line do you put on your jugs?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
There are a few ways to do it...air compressor, gold ol' fashioned filet knife...etc.

Watch some youtube vids if you've never done it before, or have someone who knows what they are doing show you. I'd love to show ya, but you are abiout 2 hours from me!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts