Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

turkey tail fan dekes

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Goshengrunter 
#1 ·
Ive got some turkey tails that ive had in the freezer for years. im gonna set them up as full strut flat fans for decoys. if anyone wants one pm me. ill give them away you just gotta come down and get one. i made bunch last year and they look and work well. ive got 5 ill do for sure not sure how many more than that ill do
LGE-VM510 NetFront/3.5.1 (GUI) MMP/2.0

#5 ·
I'm sure Goshen's post will be much more informative and helpful than this, but heres how I handled my bird from last year. I simply used push pins and bent paper clips and pinned mine to cardboard. Then I smothered the remaining meat in salt. Just be sure you smother it completely. You don't want any "friends" showing up for dinner. Cover and set aside in a protected area for 3 months, periodically checking salt levels and to make sure its curing nicely. At the end of 3 months, my fan was nicely cured and ready for mounting. The end result was pretty crude, but I may post a pick later if I can remember too.
Honestly, sounds like Goshen will probabbly have a much better solution.

#10 ·
thanks to all for the help

Thanks for the help guys, i think now i can save my fan if i'm lucky on my first hunt. Anyone out there that knows where to find hogs in Monroe county. Would like to try that when there on my turkey hunt. We will be in Woodsfield. Again thanks so much. Just learning this on the pc so i don't know where to find Goshengrunter's pick of the fan tails. Hope to hear more from you hunters. Bobcat2718

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.