Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone happen to use a mounted turkey this year? In WNY I mounted 2 hens and a jake and used them for decoys and they worked great and was wondering if anyone here in Ohio has done the same. Next year ill be using mine on pri ate land of course

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nope, did you do them yourself? If so how hard was it. As much as I spent on the one I had mounted I couldn't imagine using it for hunting!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Haven't heard of anyone in OH that uses one. I know a fellow in CA that raises his own turkeys and mounts them for decoys.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I do some taxidermy, mostly big game though. I would never put the work into mounting a bird for a deke.
With todays new technology in decoys, you can purchase a super realistic decoy for under $100- top of the line, IM talkind striations in the feathers, layered rubber etc. the only thing i would do, is buy one of those super nice struttin decoys and set up a jake tailfan or tom fan and use that instead of the plastic one.

The socnd reason I wouldnt use a mount for a deke is portability- they may look good but trying packing in a pair of hens and a tom-geesh that'd be rough!

3rd- Its wet when and where I turkey hunt and moisture will spell the death of a turkey mount!

they do look good though

just my .02

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I am a self taught taxidermist and learned at age 14 cuz at that age mounts were a lil expensive and still are. When I found out a mount cost $400 and I could get everything I needed for under $100 and no wait I jumped on it and love bringing the animals I take back to life. Absolutely, for portability its rough but im the type to sit in one spot of the first couple of weeks and am in there butt early. In the run and gun part of the season I use my regular decoys or if its gonna be raining all day. As for a little rain learned from trail and error and they dont get messed up, just wipe them dry. The heads I use are fake and mold them myself and paint. The feather do get a little rough and the mount lasts me 2-3 seasons. Total cost is about $50 and about a weeks time couple of hrs a day. I like using them because its a bird I shot and with pulling a bird in with something you made, there is nothing better than that. When I drop a turkey nothing goes to waste. The only thing I dont use is the heads, normally I give them to a local taxidermist and they use them. I have 5 heads now in the freezer but a lot of guys are using the molded heads now. Maybe this fall ill send them out to be freeze dried and use them on a home mount not deke lol. Coyotes love my hen mount decoys so I get plenty of use out of them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Buy the avian x decoys if you want the life like look.. Jake is like79 and hens are 69$ . I have had multiple birds right up in my decoys multiple times .. In fact a had jakes pummel my jake decoy for twenty minutes.. And the hens love them too.. A lot cheaper the the stuffed route and much more durable

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess it's more of a personal choice with me. This year with being new to Ohio, I just grabbed my $10 decoys I got at Dick's and had a jake attack my jake decoy for some time, maybe it was the same jake. Was your jake (real) all beat up? When I use a real turkey decoy I spend $50 tops and that's making it look all pretty. I dont buy a form, fake legs, or send out for a fake head. I use what everyone has laying around the house and put the bird I got to good use. As I dont use a strutting tom they are easy to do. I make standing or feeding decoys (jakes and hens). I treat the hide removing all the fat and tissue, let dry all the way, spray the inside and outside, and for the head I use a mold I made from a artifical head a long time ago, and paint the head using regular spray paint and paper. Every hunter has their way of hunting and for turkey hunting I have a blast. Like I said before I get 2-3 seasons out of a decoy before it gets used for coyote hunting. In fact the jake i got this year (1st Ohio Bird) will hopefully get me my first Ohio tom next year. Anyone can go buy a $100 decoy and say it's the best, but when you put time into harvesting and making your own decoy and then harvest another bird using it, that is the best feeling a hunter can get. Turkeys love'em.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I guess it's more of a personal choice with me. This year with being new to Ohio, I just grabbed my $10 decoys I got at Dick's and had a jake attack my jake decoy for some time, maybe it was the same jake. Was your jake (real) all beat up? When I use a real turkey decoy I spend $50 tops and that's making it look all pretty. I dont buy a form, fake legs, or send out for a fake head. I use what everyone has laying around the house and put the bird I got to good use. As I dont use a strutting tom they are easy to do. I make standing or feeding decoys (jakes and hens). I treat the hide removing all the fat and tissue, let dry all the way, spray the inside and outside, and for the head I use a mold I made from a artifical head a long time ago, and paint the head using regular spray paint and paper. Every hunter has their way of hunting and for turkey hunting I have a blast. Like I said before I get 2-3 seasons out of a decoy before it gets used for coyote hunting. In fact the jake i got this year (1st Ohio Bird) will hopefully get me my first Ohio tom next year. Anyone can go buy a $100 decoy and say it's the best, but when you put time into harvesting and making your own decoy and then harvest another bird using it, that is the best feeling a hunter can get. Turkeys love'em.
definatley cool to do it yourself if thats what you enjoy!

My first coyote i ever trapped (when I was a kid) was with a home made snare- I spent hours making it, spent a bunch of money cuz i kept messing it up...it was like a 2 day $30 project lol...but I caught a coyote with it the first night...very cool feeling.

A little differant but up the same ally. Good luck and post the pics for us when hes done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts