Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting into turkey hunting. Went out once last year with my son on youth opening day and poured all morning. Trying again this year if we can find a place.

In patterning my new 535, does anyone have a recommendation on load and choke, or perhaps someone has this gun and knows for the most part what gives best pattern. (Yes I realize that all guns will shoot differently...just trying to eliminate buying a bunch of different shells to test/pattern.)

Oddly enough it seems that many people recommend 3 inch instead of 3.5 too not only for kick's sake, but for patterning.

It comes with a xx full turkey choke but I've read that some people say it patterns better with a regular FULL than a XX full.

Also open to after-market tubes although I'd like to make the FULL or XX FULL work if possible.

Also need to pattern my sons Mossberg 500 20 gage if anyone has a recommendation for that.

Any input for the above is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Just getting into turkey hunting. Went out once last year with my son on youth opening day and poured all morning. Trying again this year if we can find a place.

In patterning my new 535, does anyone have a recommendation on load and choke, or perhaps someone has this gun and knows for the most part what gives best pattern. (Yes I realize that all guns will shoot differently...just trying to eliminate buying a bunch of different shells to test/pattern.)

Oddly enough it seems that many people recommend 3 inch instead of 3.5 too not only for kick's sake, but for patterning.

I just got my 535 and I shot it a. Couple times with REM nitro mags an I too have been told 3" s group beter but 3 1/2's waloup them and my factory xx-full dose great my rear sight adjust the up down of shot and its dead on left to right but at 30 yrds it destroyed a 12"-16" box was a lil high but did a heck of a job I'm ganna use winchester turkey supreem #5 3 1/2's

It comes with a xx full turkey choke but I've read that some people say it patterns better with a regular FULL than a XX full.

Also open to after-market tubes although I'd like to make the FULL or XX FULL work if possible.

Also need to pattern my sons Mossberg 500 20 gage if anyone has a recommendation for that.

Any input for the above is appreciated!
I ganna use a 535 that I just bought good gun factory choke will work fine also I'm ganna use winchester supreem turkey #5 in 3 1/2

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
105 Posts
Both my girlfriend and myself shoot mossberg guns 20 and 12 ga. Try looking at Nitro Ammunition Company's website. They have done alot of research and have a whole section of recommendations of chokes and their ammo combinations. The ammo is kinda exspensive but I believe it to be the best patterning stuff available. Hope this helps Good luck!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Depending on how much you would like to spend on chokes...if you're open to aftermarket chokes I would put a "pure gold" choke in both guns and shoot hevi 13 #6's through both. You wont regret doing it. Another good combo is comp-n-choke and shoot Winchester supreme #5 or #6 shot. 1 1/4 oz to 2 ounce shot.these two chokes are close to the same price. Good luck!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
For off the shelf, Mossbergs seem to like Winchester shells. I use #4 or #5 shot most of time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would buy a brand new truck and then smash it with my new tank. Haha. But really I would buy a bunch of land like the rest of these guys. I would spend lots of time with my children teaching them to hunt and enjoy the outdoors. I would also quit my job which means I would take up napping as a new hobby.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I have a Mossberg 9200 and I shoot Winchester Supreme XX magnums with #6 shot in
2 3/4". I have an great pattern out to 35-40 yards, which is all the further I shoot. I also use the HS Strut Undertaker choke.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW everyone. Thanks a TON for all the suggestions. I'll definitely check out that website that Nitro has done. Have seen their ammo and/or had others mention it to me as well.

On another note, In patterning my guns I need a place to do this. The only place I know to go would be a 50 minute drive up to Delaware Wildlife area/range. I'd rather not drive all the way up there due to time and gas/money. I'm in Westerville/New Albany/Johnstown area. Does anyone have a suggestion of a place closer than Delaware Wildlife? I don't mind paying if it saves me time and gas/money.

Also, I'm not opposed to the aftermarket chokes. The ones that have been mentioned here are also ones mentioned in other forums on the web so I'll look into them. I don't want to make things more complicated than necessary but want to do what I can within my budget to give us the best shot (pardon the pun).

I've read mixed reviews about going with 3 inch versus 3.5 and some say the 3.5 actually patterns worse for some guns, for some size shot, for some ammo. It's like a big algebra problem with all of these variables...and I NEVER was good at math!:irked: Will keep plugging away though. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked out the Nitro site. NICE site with a link to recommended chokes and loads for lots of different guns. Interesting but they recommend the Primos Jelly Head .660 with Hevishot. My concern is that when I go to look at this choke at websites such as Cabelas and Gander Mountain they don't list a purchase option or match for the Mossberg 535. They have the 835 and maybe 935 but not 535. On another forum, someone says the 535 will fit and another someone says it won't.

If anyone knows, let me know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the mossburg 835 and I use a carlson dead coyote choke with the 3.5 heavi shot#4 turkey load and I have a nice pattern out to 50 yards.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 835 and 935 will not fit the 535..if thats what you are wondering.
That IS exactly what I'm wondering. Bummer that the Nitro website is saying the Jelly Head is a good one for the 535.

I think I'm going to try to use the factory XX Full Turkey extended ported choke and try various ammo in it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That IS exactly what I'm wondering. Bummer that the Nitro website is saying the Jelly Head is a good one for the 535.

I think I'm going to try to use the factory XX Full Turkey extended ported choke and try various ammo in it.
Im reading on alot of websites that guys are using the jellyhead with their 535, im pretty sure I read that the 500,535, and 930 are interchangeable. Im kinda having the same problem. I have the 930 and also want this choke.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Im reading on alot of websites that guys are using the jellyhead with their 535, im pretty sure I read that the 500,535, and 930 are interchangeable. Im kinda having the same problem. I have the 930 and also want this choke.

here is a link from another forum with someone asking the same thing

http://cabinchat.primos.com/lofiversion/index.php/t53340.html

hope this helps....

·
Registered
276 Posts
I talked to a Guy at bass pro today who purchased the 535 and bought a jelly head choke. He has tried 5 different loads/brands through it and he is super disappointed with the choke. He said the factory choke made the jelly head look bad. Just thought I'd put that out there. Try pure gold if you don't mind spend 25 more dollars and you def will be glad you did. Up to you.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Just shoot a 2 3/4" mag full choke 4 or 5 shot. 3 and 3 1/2" mag will knock the fillings out of your teeth and make you flinch. I have xlent patterns out to 35yds- all I need. ;)

·
5,040 Posts
Why do I shoot 3 1/2 mags? Because they don't make em in 4 inch:yikes:
I used a Caldwell's Lead sled when sighting in, never feel a thing when I'm whacking a gobbler!
Below are a few pics, first is my pattern at a measured 40 yards with Hevishot #7, 224 pillets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yds. Second pic is my turkey killing machine!
DSCN1771.jpg

DSCN1797.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I called Primos today and they looked it up for me...they said that they DO sell one for the 535. I told him there was some debate about it online, etc. He seemed confident.

He gave me the product number but I don't have it with me at the moment. I'll post it tomorrow.

That's interesting about the guy's opinion at Bass Pro.

Here's what I think I'll do...I'm going to try to pattern the gun with the XX Full ported turkey choke that came with the 535. I'll run several different shells though it, perhaps even some Hevi shot and see what happens.

As for my son's 20 gage Mosssberg (youth stock) I'm going ot go with either the H.S. Strut Undertaker or Primos Tight Wad. Both are about $20. Will just pick one I think and go with it. Figure it should be better than the factory full choke that came with the gun.

I'll let you guys know what I find out as soon as I pattern the gun. Would like to find a place nearby but will go to Delaware if I need to.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts