Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While hunting turkey this morning around 10:30 I was walking along a field edge. Weed growth about knee high. Out of nowhere a big gobbler jumps up and runs off. He waited till I was three feet away from him. Startled the Heck out of me. Never has a turkey do that. Maybe could understand if it was a hen on a nest perhaps but this was a full grown red headed long bearded turkey. Taking a nap in the sun perhaps? I think he thinks he's a grouse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
[/QUOTE]
While hunting turkey this morning around 10:30 I was walking along a field edge. Weed growth about knee high. Out of nowhere a big gobbler jumps up and runs off. He waited till I was three feet away from him. Startled the Heck out of me. Never has a turkey do that. Maybe could understand if it was a hen on a nest perhaps but this was a full grown red headed long bearded turkey. Taking a nap in the sun perhaps? I think he thinks he's a grouse.
I had the same thing happen a few years ago. Got within 15 feet of a gobbler in tall, field grass, only, he burst into flight and was over the treetops in no time.

·
22,869 Posts
Maybe with Grouse numbers so low and hunters not expecting to see one, the turkey took advantage and pretended to be a grouse to throw you off.:p:LOL:

Reactions: bluedog
1 - 5 of 5 Posts