Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I got a call from Dave Bailey, my taxidermist and he said that my turkey fan mount was ready to be picked up. :) Mine was the 3rd turkey to be turned in to him, in Allen county and it was shot on the 24th of April. Pretty quick service...and good quality too. :cool: Only $115 for this mount.

Turkey Fan Mount

Beard and Feet

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
115$$$ my 13 yr old did his own just saying, that's the easiest $$$ a taxi can make.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
115$$$ my 13 yr old did his own just saying, that's the easiest $$$ a taxi can make.

Mount looks good...and in 5 yeasr its still gonna look good. 90% of do it yourselfers dont have the slightest clue how to flesh and degrease a tailfan. In 5n years, odds, are your 13 y.o's diy mount is gonna have bugs or look matted and uneven due to improper degreasing, washing, fleshing, set up, drying, etc.

I'd be willing to bet any taxidermist or sportsman who has been around the block could easiyl distinguish a diy mount from a quality taxi job.

Not to mention the plaque this mount is on is probably a $30 plaque. also, the feet take a bit of time to set up like that. Good looking mount and worth the money imo. Not all people WANT to diy either...give the guy a break.

Nice bird and nice mount!

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's cool if you want to overpay for a fan mount to each his own. But don't knock a DIY'er for not wanting to get ripped off. I wasn't trying to beat the guy up just trying to say somethings can be done by rookies.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
That's cool if you want to overpay for a fan mount to each his own. But don't knock a DIY'er for not wanting to get ripped off. I wasn't trying to beat the guy up just trying to say somethings can be done by rookies.
Not knocking you personally...just most diy tailfans lasta year then look like absolute crap.

Overpay? Ripped off? Thats your opinion which you're entilted to....even if it is wrong:tsk:

What do you think? Do think a taxidermist should refuse work because "you could do that yourself"?

Whats a "fair" price?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Are you a taxi? Because it sounds like your trying to drum up business

Yes i am a taxi, however, part time and I only do african and exotic big game, no deer, no fish, I do a few turkey tails but no full mounts.

If i were trying to drum up business id be on here with a shop name and every third post would say "nice animal...bring it to me." you wont find a single post of mine on here that says that.

As for $70---In the mount pictured you have $20 minimum in the plaque. with the remaining $50- 1 hour fleshing and cleaning, 30 minutes degreasing, 30 minutes set up. 30 minutes cleaning the legs properly and 30 minutes putting the whole thing together.

thats 2.5 hrs of labor- thats paying him 10 dollars and hour NOT including the overhead the taxidermist has. i.e. borax, dawn soap, gas for degreasing and all the expenses of running a business.

I think if you look at it logically, $115 is reasonable to pay to have it done.

yes you can do it quicker, but it wont last, yes you can do it cheaper, but it wont look as nice.

Also, when did it become so wrong for a business man to make a freaking profit!?

Everyone looks at a taxidermy cataloge and decides they are getting ripped off- think about it before you bash the taxidermists. you can cut your own hair, buy your own stocks, fix your own car, build your own house, mow your own lawn, knit your own sweater, or mount your own bird....but it aint gonna be as good as a pro---at least until you've got a few dozen under your belt... my .02

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Very nice!!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wasn't trying to bash anyone. Was just stating my opinion. Guess I'll not say anything and just read from now on

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm not bashing a Taxi, but just trying to help a fellow how to save some $$$
BTW, I cut my own hair, fix my own car,build my own house, mow my own lawn,and do my own friggen turkey tail and wood for the back will not cost me 20 $$$
If I don't like the way it looks in 5 yrs I throw it away and do another one, I also don't pay anyone to do anything I can do myself. Your also welcome to come and look at my hair, car,house,lawn,turkey any time u want to,
BTW I also mount a few deer in my spare time :) just saying

·
Registered
593 Posts
BTW, I cut my own hair, fix my own car,build my own house, mow my own lawn,and do my own friggen turkey tail and wood for the back will not cost me 20 $$$
If I don't like the way it looks in 5 yrs I throw it away and do another one, I also don't pay anyone to do anything I can do myself. Your also welcome to come and look at my hair, car,house,lawn,turkey any time u want to,

Yeh what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I also write my own post!

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Very nice. My taxi wanted to charge me $150.. :yikes: :coco: So I'm doing my own. $115 seems more reasonable. I like the shotgun shell idea. I might just steal that if ya doan mind. :D

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts

I know things are done a little different in Sugarcreek :confused: but I would keep that part of your life a secret.. just sayin :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts