Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
My local Walmart has a pair of dekes (hen and jake) for 20.00. Individually, comparable dekes are 15 bucks apeice. I tend to prefer the way the rubber collapible ones look. I would definitley stay away from foam with the pressed seam. They look a little to fake for me! :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I have the tommy Jake and Sally hen or something of that nature by h.s strut from wally world $30 for the pair I killed my first bird last year with out decs so Idk if ill Usem or not this yr
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
just dont use decoys on public areas, or if you dont know who else is hunting near you or is trespassing.

sometimes they work, sometimes a gobbler will stand there and stare expecting the decoy to come to him.

If anything put the decoy out from the edge of a field and get back behind some trees so you can spot some "run and gun hunter" approaching.

·
Registered
679 Posts
just dont use decoys on public areas, or if you dont know who else is hunting near you or is trespassing.

sometimes they work, sometimes a gobbler will stand there and stare expecting the decoy to come to him.

If anything put the decoy out from the edge of a field and get back behind some trees so you can spot some "run and gun hunter" approaching.
I'll add to antiqucycle's post-

If your in an area that has a lot of jakes, then skip the jake decoy. I've seen too many mature birds 'hang-up' with jake decoys because they've had their butts kicked by a gang of them one time too many. Consider using only hen decoys. Might be a tad bit safer on public ground too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Any particular folding decoys anybody has had good luck with?

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
I use the Flambeau Mater Series flock (Jake and 2 hens) when hunting fields. If I'm set up in the woods a generally don't even put a decoy out.

Here's one tip for the collapsible foam decoys....take a hand full of recycleable grocery bags with you. After you set your decoys stuff them with the grocery bags. This will give them a fuller, rounder look.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks for the tip Schu72! Thats a cool idea. Might have to add some bags to my kit.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
When you get home with the folding decoys, don't keep them folded in your vest. Open the up and stuff them to stay open. You may want to roll them up instead of folding.

If there are bad creases in them, use a hair dryer CAREFULLY to straighten them out. Don't melt or burn them because you're in a hurry.

Some hunters put them into the shower and let the warm water straighten them.

As for inexpensive foam decoys, I've seen them at Gander Mountain for $8 or so. Fin Feather Fur might have them, also.

Best of luck this year and be safe!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a buddy I laughed at until I hunted with them he takes scrap pieces of the blue insulation board cuts them with a knife to look like a hen paints with a dark brown and feathers it out with light brown paint puts a dow rod in bottom.Dont laugh he usually kills two nice birds every year. You cant get much cheaper than that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good tips. Thanks! Looked over the decoys at Cabela's today. The folding ones don't look bad next to the rest of them. Might pick up a hen to set out. Like the blue foam board idea. Was wondering if a card board silhouette would work. They work with crows.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would imagine cardboard would work you could put two pieces together and give them some body shape might not be water proof but be fun to mess with it would be a real accomplishment to kill bird with home made decoys try it and have fun let us know results maybe a picture of decoys.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Cardboard has worked. Flat spray paint and some hobby acrylic paint for any details you'd like. A wire coat hanger for the stake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts