Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
In the perfect world at about 0630 it goes like this.....yelp yelp GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!!
In the real world you go out in near perfect conditions like this morning, and you don't hear a thing :rant: You do everything you can but still can't buy a gobble......so much for the calling. Next you go to all your best spots, set up and call, still nothing.....so much for the hunting.
On your way out of the woods you think you hear a gobble, sounds like it's coming from a piece of reclaimed strip mine ground, hustle over there and as you get into the field see a fan, you know some guys set in that area and set out decoys, which is what you think this is until the bird drops his strut :yikes: He's about 75-80 yards away and you've just pitched headfirst into the grass trying desperately to blend in. When you finally get brave enough to peek, he's still strutting around. Good news is he seems to be preoccupied with two hens.....bad news is he has two hens=four more eyes to avoid. With six eyes there's no way to get out of the field without spooking them. With the hens and the open position you're in calling is out of the question. For the next hour you get to watch one of the best strutting displays possible. The old boy never covers more than about 30 yards during this time. He's about 100+ yards away and looks like he will get behind some brush so you can finally move.....but no, the hens like the grass closer to you and bring him back your way, when they get about 60 yards from you they take a 90 degree turn and start moving away, thank goodness they never picked me out! The gobbler is following behind by about 20 yards, when he gets to the point where they turned, he continues straight for me, strutting, spitting and drumming as he comes, I'm on my side with the red dot on his wattles......50 yards.......45 yards.....40 yards BOOM!!!!
There are turkey callers
there are turkey hunters
and there are turkey killers!!!

22#11oz 10.5 beard and 1 1/4 spurs, a limbhanger for sure!

DSCN1891.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Bryan six

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
You did all that Bawana and did not cramp up laying in the grass with your head crooked up for so long? No snakes? No bee nests? Congrats to you man. That is the way to hang in there and do it!:thumbs_up:

·
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You did all that Bawana and did not cramp up laying in the grass with your head crooked up for so long? No snakes? No bee nests? Congrats to you man. That is the way to hang in there and do it!:thumbs_up:
Didn't cramp up bit! But when I jumped up and both my feet were asleep........ wasn't pretty!

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Great job Brent! You are having quite a season.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Congrats!!

·
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are turkey callers
there are turkey hunters
and there are turkey killers!!!

so which are you ????
When you can't call to them, and you can't hunt them in the traditional way, and you still manage to get one, That makes you a turkey killer!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts