close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turkey advice?

Discussion in 'Ohio Turkey Hunting' started by ohihunter2014, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Okay guys lets hear it! I tried for years and always get them to call back but never come in so looking for advice. I will list how i usually do it below.

1) Public land, pines, thick timer, small gas line fields throughout the timber, rolling hills. AKA Mohican state forest. I start off usually a week before season and drive around just before dark or right at sunup and crow call or owl hoot and if i get a response and in past years its been 2-3 responses i will mark it on the map and come back in the AM. We park and quietly get out and head into the woods to usually a pre determined location watching old gas line road, logging roads or openings in the woods and once the sun starts to crack i give a series of yelps about 6-8 on the Primos laminate box call or cheapo pot call and 99% of the time i get a response or two and then i try and move a little closer and sit down with a thick tree or dead fall. If i get a response i wait about 5min and give a soft yelp or 2-3 almost just dragging the top of the call along the box on the call and get a little more aggressive with it and sit and wait another 10-15min and sometimes with that second call sequence i get an answer and sometimes its no answer after the very first answer.

I'm not real sure on how to putt, purr, etc so i keep it simple with yelps. I heard a guy or two over the years do very soft sounds like a pur, pur, pur then yelp, yelp, yelp and then like a yip,yip,yip, yip with the box call at the end and get responses and i have gotten responses also. IDK if i'm calling too much, not the right sounds, not the right habitat, etc? 5yrs ago the last time i went there was a private hay field with a couple clear cuts in the woods and an old atv path and ferns and oaks all over the place and we got there late so i crow called and got a response so ran in and setup and got one more response and nothing so upon leaving i see a balloon i wanted to take out with me and walked into a hen on a nest of 3 eggs and busted more hens out of the area.

2) Do you hunt the small valleys or up on the hills?

3) When do you start calling and how often and what sounds?

4) Should i buy a better call than the Primos laminate and cheap HS strut pot calls?

5) Say you get a response 10min after sunup and you wait 20min to call again and no response should i move to say another side of the road or pack up and head somewhere completely different? The problem with Mohican is there are smaller parcels of private intersecting the public so a bird could be across the road on private gobbling and your on the other side. Is that a wash and just move on?

2. Schu72

Schu72 Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Do you see or hear hens? They will oftentimes pull gobblers away even if they are answering your calls.

Bryan six likes this.

3. Do what I do and you won't need a gun, lol! ;)

ohihunter2014 likes this.
  4. I generally see them in that hay field that's private. The public butts right to that field so i try and get close but somehow the hens i scared up were like 100-200yards behind us and the gobbler was in that field answering back to me but i never heard a hen.

Buck Buster likes this.
  5. Ya try smiling and winking at it? Maybe a nice softly blown kiss it’s way?

6. I only do that with you hot stuff!!

cambridgezowie likes this.
  7. Don't call till you're set up.Let them gobble first,move closer,get set up and call softly. Patience is a virtue ;)

MountNMan likes this.
  8. Personally I prefer a slate call or glass on one side slate the other. Don’t get me wrong box calls work. I just feel you have more control with a slate call over box call as well as its way easier to work in tight situations... plus a different striker produces a different sound so one call can have many different sounds.

1 I would buy a custom made call. I feel the chainstore calls don’t hold sound as well over the years.
    2 always stay above a bird if ya can. Call them up hill vs down

3 I start in the morning yelosbclucks purrs start low and increase volume.

As far as how often just depends on the response I get. That could go a million different ways. If the bird cuts me off and is heading my way... when I call. I may go quiet or blast off in rapids succession. Then shut off. Each bird is different . Some may respond to aggressive calling and some may not. You sorta figure that out as you work the bird.

5 I wouldn’t wait 20 minutes to respond just off one gobble unless it was within 50 yards of me. So many different variables. If it’s 100 yards out I would want a couple responses and know he was coming in. Then stop. If he was hung up at a 100 after playing my fiddle for a few I would stop calling for 15 minutes or so hit my call see where he was and if he moved off by the sound of the gobble I would move in to the last place I heard him or close to it.

Bryan six likes this.
  9. Changing volumes when you call is key as well...

Bryan six likes this.
  10. Typically, if I get a bird fired up, I'll give him enough to get him headed my way. Once I know he has committed I'll let him gobble two or three times then give him a few yelps. Once I see him I switch to soft clucks and purrs right up until I pull the trigger. Sometimes you'll get one that gobbles a couple times, then doesn't respond to you anymore. Usually these are the ones that will slip in silent.

cambridgezowie and Bryan six like this.
  11. The thing I tell most new hunters is just listen to turkeys. See what sounds they make in each situation, listen to the super soft purrs they make when feeding contently, etc.. Also look at how they physically act to know their temperment. For example, if a bird folds its wings over its back, its gonna walk away very soon. You can learn more in a day of observation and listening than you can from the advice of every poster on here.

12. We usually get in before daylight, wait for the bird to gobble and get as close as we can to him. Give a couple tree yelps, if he gobbles back, he knows where you are. We hardly make a noise after that until it's time for fly down or we hear hens close by. If we hear hens that's another ball game. If there are no hens envolved, wait till fly down and mimic a hen flying down and give a few yelps and purrs. Start scratching the leaves and purr, make the Tom think you aren't interested and it may tick him off enough to come looking for you...

13. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Purring is the easiest thing to do ohi, just run the striker up the call!! That prrrrrrrr vibrating sound is it dude!! Easy peasy!!

14. Bryan six

Bryan six Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I love the fake flydown with the hat. Then rub it in the leaves like a bird searching for food!!! It usually fires em up even more without having to call once!! If your close to roost it will speed up flydown so remember that when it is still pitch black!!

bilman63 and cambridgezowie like this.
  15. Scout before the season . Roosting areas, strut zones , feeding areas. Figure out what they like to do. Set up accordingly . Much easier to kill em when you're where they want to be in the first place .

Buck Buster and tracker 6 like this.
  16. I agree. I look for 2 specific things. If I find more than a couple piles of gobbler crap I zero in on that spot. Also in strut zones I frequently find gobbler breast feathers.

17. Bawana

Bawana Staff Member Mod

And how do you know it's gobbler poop? It's usually J shaped, hens are usually just a blob. And gobbler breast feathers have a black line on the end away from where it attaches to the bird.

18. I should have spelled that out in my post thanks Bawana

19. Hunt until noon. Birds tend to be more responsive later in the morning on pubic.

Buck Buster likes this.
  20. I worked third shift for many years and by the time I could get to most of the places that I hunt, many of the want to be turkey hunters are heading for the doughnut shop, and the hens are just giving the gobblers the slip. Usually when I hear a gobbler after 10:00 am he ends up dead. You said birds tend to be more responsive later in the morning on public, some of that is from added pressure but it happens on private land too. I see this mainly the second half of the season and it results often from hens leaving the gobblers alone.

jrose likes this.