Ohio Sportsman - Your Ohio Hunting and Fishing Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been out for the start of groundhog season and realize I could use some help. I am using a Savage .17 so not doing anything real long range, but I am finding I am having trouble being able to hold my shot steady in all situations. If I have a rest (like today when I shot one while sitting behind the hay wagon) or if I can grab a fence post, I am good. But today I was trying to sneak up on a woodchuck. I had no back rest and I was trying to use a single legged shooting stick and also my knee. The terrain was such that I could not lie down prone. I could not get to where I felt steady enough for a 100 yard shot.

So then I got to thinking that I already own a really nice camera tripod. I was looking online at some adapters, but most are way more than I need or want to spend. My question: Is it possible to rig up something on my existing camera tripod that will hold my gun steady and I want to spend less than $50? Something homemade would be fine, I just don't know where to start.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I use a single leg shootin stick I just put the gun on it with enough of the forearm sticking past for me to grab and pull the gun down tight on the stick but everyone's different. U could get a primos trigger stick 2 or 3 leg for about wht ur wanting to spend though
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
22,520 Posts
I second that on stoney point-

I have the colapsible ones that fit in a belt pouch and they work real well. Quick set-up and steady. You simply pull it out of the pouch and the tie cord system quickly activates to pull itself together. They have different versions for your needs, so you can review their offerings and see what works best.

http://www.stoneypoint.com/products/bp_steady_stix.html

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
bluedog, I posted this in the varmint section. This is my Stoney Point tripod with rifle/pistol arm. I use it for yotes and hunting where I need better support than off hand. I also use it for deer hunting with my Contender pistols. The rig is very light and so is the stool. The stool will hold my Foxpro caller and the rabbit decoy. I got all of this stuff at Cabela's.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fred. I saw your post on the other thread but have only been reading on my phone the last couple days (hard to type responses). I like your set up! If money grew on trees and I did this groundhog hunting thing more often I would go for it. I don't really want to pay for a whole new set up, but rather want to adapt what I already have.

Fred I went to the Stoney Point web site and was looking at that accessory "arm" that attaches from the tripod to hold up the butt end of the gun. It said you could unscrew the "V" rest and then attach a camera to that arm. If that is true, maybe I could get the "V" rest and screw that to the top of my camera tripod and rest the front of the gun in there? That is what I am looking for. Something with a standard sized camera mounting thread that I can screw into the tripod I already have and then I can use it as a rest for my gun.

·
Registered
48,626 Posts
have you tried sitting with knees up and placing both elbows inside your knees while aiming...if you have a rifle sling and wrap it around your forarm it makes holding the rifle rock solid...i use this for very long shots with very good results...:D

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Fred I went to the Stoney Point web site and was looking at that accessory "arm" that attaches from the tripod to hold up the butt end of the gun. It said you could unscrew the "V" rest and then attach a camera to that arm. If that is true, maybe I could get the "V" rest and screw that to the top of my camera tripod and rest the front of the gun in there? That is what I am looking for. Something with a standard sized camera mounting thread that I can screw into the tripod I already have and then I can use it as a rest for my gun.
The arm itself clamps to the tripod leg. I'll measure the diameter of that leg and let you know what it is so you can compare it to your camera tpod leg. I'll also take mine apart and see if it will do as you describe.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I posted this in the groundhog thread too. I think this is going to work fine. I had something a bit different in my mind when I started this thread, but I decided to try what I had on hand. I took my camera tripod and I have one of those cloth gun rests that straps on to your knee ( I use it for turkey hunting all the time). I strapped the gun rest on top of the tripod. This worked much better than the monopod shooting stick I was using. I did miss my first shot (at a whole groundhog :nono: ), but I buckled down and hit it right on when it stuck just its head out of the hole it was in. Guess I needed a smaller target to make good.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if it works for ya use it. What scope do you have on that .!7 ?
Nothing fancy that's for sure. It's a BSA 3-9 X 40. This gun was won at a fundraising event and this is the scope that was mounted on it. I check it on the shooting bench every now and then and it's always right on. I have no problem seeing through it ( I kind of like it actually :) ). But you could say that my technique in the field could use a little work. ;) Practice makes perfect. :D

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
In the field if you can get your back up to a tree or fence post it will hep. Also if you carry a small backpack you can stuff it under your support leg if you are sitting. If you have to shoot of one knee and your right handed put your right knee up and rest your right elbow on it. Pratice these techniques at the range and they will help you be more steady. Hope this helps and if you already knew this then great. Happy hunting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts